Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 I found the new trick for warm feet! >

I found the new trick for warm feet!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

I found the new trick for warm feet!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default I found the new trick for warm feet!

I received a pair of Alpaca socks for Christmas. They are lighter than sheep wool and have a denser pile too. I wore them last night in below zero wind chill and they performed great with the following combination of clothes:

LaCrosse Burly 1200 gram boots
UA base layer wicking socks
Alpaca direct Extreme Alaska Boot Sock 2nd layer
Remington 70% merino wool outersocks

Boots are 1 size big for extra sock layer.
I have worn two pairs of sheeps wool for the last 6 years.
There was a noticeable difference with the Alpaca Socks. Not earth shattering but if I get another hour that way than so be it. Every hour spent in the woods is added to a mans life. Im going to live to 120.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I found the new trick for warm feet!

Glad you found something that works. I have not as of yet. The rubber boots didn’t work, the leather work better but still freeze my feet eventually. The antiperspirant spray didn’t keep my feet from sweating. Tried the liner sock and a high quality wool outer and that may or may not help. No matter what I do my feet sweat and that’s that.

I know the hot packs will work but I have been trying to find something so I don’t have to use them all the time.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM

use non scented deodorant on your feet the stick kind
Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM

lately i have found it really worth it to get in early, pack a towel in a ziplock and when i get to my stand, dry myself off. removing that moisture makes a huge difference. i sweat alot so even really taking my time going in a and packing most of outer wear i still get some moisture. the amount of sweat i can produce borders on ridiculous so the best wicking garments struggle to keep up, drying off is the best way to go for me. not getting impatient and anxious to get in stand is hard but worth it on the really cold days. 5 minutes drying off and getting situated so i'm warmer for an extra 1 or 2 hours is worth it - only really need to bother on the really cold days below 30 degrees. I also use Alpaca socks and i definitely think there is a warmth advantage over Merinio wool though the ones i have the overall durability of the sock is not as good as the name brand socks in Merino but still pretty good.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Shaky

lately i have found it really worth it to get in early, pack a towel in a ziplock and when i get to my stand, dry myself off. removing that moisture makes a huge difference. i sweat alot so even really taking my time going in a and packing most of outer wear i still get some moisture. the amount of sweat i can produce borders on ridiculous so the best wicking garments struggle to keep up, drying off is the best way to go for me. not getting impatient and anxious to get in stand is hard but worth it on the really cold days. 5 minutes drying off and getting situated so i'm warmer for an extra 1 or 2 hours is worth it - only really need to bother on the really cold days below 30 degrees. I also use Alpaca socks and i definitely think there is a warmth advantage over Merinio wool though the ones i have the overall durability of the sock is not as good as the name brand socks in Merino but still pretty good.
No offense Shaky, but I was not baring any skin this morning with the below zero temps. At about 3 hours on stand. I couldn't even move my nose more or less feel it. My wife thinks its self torture but its deeper and more theraputic than that.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 PM

my feet sweat badly too but I live in tn and temp rarely goes below15 degrees during hunting season but my feet always froze between 25 to 30 degrees until i went to i pair of cableas cool max med weight sock and Lacross rubber boot 1200 gram they get cool after 5 to 6 hours on stand but nothing like before when wearing several pair of socks. My feet sweat less now i believe is the reason why.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 14mercs

I received a pair of Alpaca socks for Christmas. They are lighter than sheep wool and have a denser pile too. I wore them last night in below zero wind chill and they performed great with the following combination of clothes:

LaCrosse Burly 1200 gram boots
UA base layer wicking socks
Alpaca direct Extreme Alaska Boot Sock 2nd layer
Remington 70% merino wool outersocks

Boots are 1 size big for extra sock layer.
I have worn two pairs of sheeps wool for the last 6 years.
There was a noticeable difference with the Alpaca Socks. Not earth shattering but if I get another hour that way than so be it. Every hour spent in the woods is added to a mans life. Im going to live to 120.
Thanks for that info on the socks!! As far as boots go though, I'll only wear Pak boots when the temps arevery cold out. Knee high LaCrosse boots, while I love them for 85% of my hunting needs, they just don't keep my feetwarm when the temps arevery cold!!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I briefly looked through a Cabela's catalog last night and didn't see alpaca socks there, though I may have simply overlooked them; where did the person who bought them for you get them?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

use non scented deodorant on your feet the stick kind
Deodorant doesn't stop your feet from sweating it just stops them from stinking. I think you mean antipersperant. You've got to look at the label because there are both and they work differently.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Greg-

I saw them on Alpacadirect.com - I also placed an additional order of 70$ so I could get two more pairs for the stand and 2 med. weight pair for the wife when she complains about cold feet. Funny how she didn't have those on our wedding night!

Quick Reply: I found the new trick for warm feet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.