Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 NAP Spitfire XP's 3 blade expandable Vs.  ------- >

NAP Spitfire XP's 3 blade expandable Vs. -------

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

NAP Spitfire XP's 3 blade expandable Vs. -------

Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NAP Spitfire XP's 3 blade expandable Vs. -------

Success, Success,Success..Bears, Deer, etc.

I love the NAP Spitfire Xp's.

I love them even more after taking a doe at 53 yards this year....(yes...had a range finder)....still....clean penetration even with expandables at that distance...went through both lungs but the arrow did not drop out the other side.....shooting around 280 fps with gold tips.

Anyway ---Does anyone have a broadhead that will give me the happiness of the Spitfire for less price?

I like the no o-ring design.

I appreciate yourthoughts?

Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NAP Spitfire XP's 3 blade expandable Vs. -------

i shoot the spitfire xp's with great success to but i limit my shots to around 30 yards and within so i cant help you if you are asking what broadheads will give you a pass thru shot a 50+ yards that is out of my league.good luck!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

It seems now that the average price for decent broadheads is $30 for 3 ($10/head). Other than possibly Thunderheads or Muzzys, any of the premium heads will be in that price range.

Given those prices, I prefer a head like a Montec that I can sharpen and reuse as opposed to one where I need to replace $5 worth of parts after each shot.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the XP's as well. Shop around on the internet for after season sales for them over the next month or two. I usually find a new 3pk for $20 on ebay or just google searching them. Then I use my old one's for practice, until I tear up a few fletchings...then it's back to field tips. lol
Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Below is a link to a website that did broadhead testing from a machine focusing on accuracy and penetration. The Siptfires were tested along with some other fixed and expandable heads. No test is perfect, but I though this test was one of the better I've seen. The machine was setup with a Bowtech bow that hit the same entry hole everytime with a field tip, then they put on broadheads. As expected, expandables proved to be more accurate. What suprised me was the Rocky Mountain Snyper had the best penetration, also was most accurate and went through plywood without damage. I've never shot expandables for various concerns but this video really opened my eyes to expandables. I think I'll be trying the Snypers or Rage heads next year based on testing and feedback from thsi site. Take a look below.

http://www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx
Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 AM

I used the Spitfire with some success. Had one issue with the head hitting a small piece of vegetation. It caught one of the blades and turned the arrow shaft pretty significantly. Tried out the Rage 2 blade this fall and had great success on deer.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

While the Spitfire XP would be my mechanical of choice, and I sell several every year. I really see no advantage to mechanicals anymore. I can get great flight, and huge holes from a Slick Trick without the worry of what if.Although cost is not an issue for me on one of the most important pieces of my gear (broadheads) Tricks are a little cheaper as well.

Dan

Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get a 404 error with that link, may not have it exactly correct.

Try this:

http://www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx
Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry I cant recomend a better head than the spitfire...I use the original head though, becasue I'm not a fan of the COC tip on theXP, same with the rage. I worry about them curling/mushrooming if they hit something hard. Plus they are difficult to sharpen..Unless I loose the arrow I have always reusedthe headby replacing the blades and just sharping the tip....Hint: the blades open alittle easier if you tight'n the retainingscrew right out of the package...Its should turn about a 1/4 turn or more
I'm assuming you replace thehead everytime its shot and thats why your asking about cost...I've found good deals on ebay and in the classifieds of archery forums...