Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

whisker vs drop away

Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 PM

Default whisker vs drop away

i currently use a whisker bicuit but thought about changing toa drop away.(the one with the cord attatched to the cable)the reason is better speed.can any one tell me how much difference there is between the two and if its even worth it.any advise on this would be appreciated.

MAKING STEAM IN OHIO
Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Default RE: whisker vs drop away

I am currently about to switch back to a drop away. The minor increase in speed is not much to write home about. I think the drop away adds an element of forgiveness to the setup, and there is also the wear issue with the WB. Those bristles gradually wear down and, as they do, your tune and point of impact changes a bit. I have also had an infrequent issue with small diameter arrows wanting to slip out of the hole down into the bristles. Going to test one of the new containment drop aways for the next few months. Can always go back to the WB - which has, so far, served me pretty well for hunting.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe 2 fps....this comes from otherpeople testing the speed dif,I beleave one guy just about lost 3 fps but the norm is 1-2.......
Ive used the WB since it came out on the market and havnt looked back.......They also did mud,sand.slush,water,Ice and snowit didnt effect it enough to make any big differance.Ive never used a dropaway but I think there are afew things that I wouldnt want in it when out hunting.........Kinda like hunting with a recurve it's pretty much maintanance free.....
Old 12-28-2007, 01:29 PM

On the Mathews forum there is a thread that measures the speed drop when using a WB. If I remember the diameter of the shaft compared to the opening of the WB has something to do with the speed drop. Tighter the slower the arrow but the biggest difference was 5 fps slower using the WB.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

full contain drop aways are pretty cool. The Kaz away by vital bow gear is a really really impressive rest.
The Bowtech hostage is really growing on me, they just need to make shims for smaller arrows. All the joys of a whisker and no loss in speed.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 PM

hard to beat the reliability of a rest with zero moving parts, nothing to "tune", nothing to break, etc... so you lose 1-2fps, BFD... for hunting, if you've already got a WB, hard to justify a 100 dollar drop away... setting up an all new bow, well, maybe a bit easier to justify, but only if you can accept the inherent fact that moving parts sometimes break and get stuck... I'd hate to have one shot at a 150" buck only to have my drop away fail, and we all know murphy is a rotten SOB, if its gonna fail, it'll fail at the worst possible time... I not knocking DA rests, i like 'em a lot... and if i had extra coin floatin around i'd get one (probably a QAD pro HD), but frankly there's a long list of other things I need before I'm gonna replace the biscuit...
Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grandviewer

On the Mathews forum there is a thread that measures the speed drop when using a WB. If I remember the diameter of the shaft compared to the opening of the WB has something to do with the speed drop. Tighter the slower the arrow but the biggest difference was 5 fps slower using the WB.
with the proper arrow and WB you should have a fingernail of light on the top then narrowing off to the 9 and 3 O clock position.
and yes you can have too much and too little this is on of the biggest tuning problems people have nxt to not having the vains set right witch should be 12-4-8 oclock ruffly....I shoot ICS 340's and never have had a problem........
Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Once you get decent from and shot consistency, the WB is a really safe and dependable arrow rest......just make sure you papertune your bow....

Frank.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the input fellows.I was starting to second guess my choice but i have been shooting for about 5 months (when i got my new bow) and have had no problems with the biscuit.Just wondering about speed and 1 -3 fps isnt worth changing anything.

MAKING STEAM IN OHIO
Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh...the speed factor...I know its tough. Stick with the Whisker Biscuit. I freak out at anyting other than a Whisker Biscuit. Ever since I owned a whisker biscuit I have never paid attention to my rest while drawing or worried about an arrow moving off the rest.

So yougain 6 feet per second. Unless you're in a contest with your buddies on a free 12 pack stay with the whisker biscuit. Even at 50 yards that deer will never know if your arrow is going285 or 292 fps. Think low maintenance....low maintenance....zero issues in the field....

this is only my opinion...

Quick Reply: whisker vs drop away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.