Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 rage 2 blade flaw? you tell me. >

rage 2 blade flaw? you tell me.

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage 2 blade flaw? you tell me.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM

Default rage 2 blade flaw? you tell me.

Hi fellas,

I'm new to this so please bear with me, i have a question about the rage 2 blade. And i know everyone is tired of the subject. How does the the 2 blade close after impact? I know i read about massive entrance and small exit holes. If the blades can be pushed in by your fingers i feel like there is a huge flaw in the head if not im just running on for nothing. Before i get a head of my self my reason for asking is because im intrested in them. If they can be easily pushed in wouldnt the bladesclosein passing thru the ribs the force of impacting bone must outweigh the blades shoulder passing thru soft tissue. If thats the case i can see why there would be a small exit hole,when the blades strike the ribs on the other side, and the blade shouldersbeing already past the hide there is nothing to deploy the rear blades on departure. Any way im no rage expert, i dont even own a set but im willing to give them a try if some one could shed some light on the situation.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: rage 2 blade flaw? you tell me.

When the blades are deployed, the are pushed open and then down into a locked position. The only way they can closed is if the arrow changes directions. As the arrow passes through an animal, they absolutely cannot be closed. (pushed back into the closed position) I've never heard of a small exit hole either. These heads are 2" wide when locked open, they cannot have a smaller hole than that.

I've used Rocky Mountain Snypers, the heads that Rage mimics. The Snypers are smaller at 1.5" and I've had massive entrance holes and big exit holes on the last 6 bucks I've shot with them.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Thanks
I really didnt know. i want to trust them, its just so hard to weed out the fact and the fiction. Some people rave about them, others hate them. I really didnt know what side to trust. But thanks again, hopefully ill get to test them out on ol tom before next deer season comes in.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have never seen blood like I had from these things. And I have shot a bunch of broadheads. they are simply incredible. they are more than 2 inches wide on the way open, my entrance and exit were simply massive. I have pictures in another rage thread somewhere.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 PM

There are lots of threads in the archives about these broadheads. Once open and deployed, they cut a big hole all the way through. Only way they get smaller is if you try to pull them back out.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Rage two blades are great broadheads I wouldn't trade them for anything.Once deployed they will stay open.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

I used the Rage 2 Blades this past season for the first time and had absolutely no problem with them closing while passing through. The entrance wounds were large enough to place a baseball in and the exit wounds were gruesome to say the least. They fly true and i will stick with them for a long time. I shot one in low light at a target placed 70 yards away. I was using a Lumenock and wanted to see if I could detect it changing arrow flight after 35 to 40 yards. It flew as true as true can be.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have never used the rage. Have thought about them seriously this last season but never made the move. My cousin uses these 2 blade Rage and he loves them. The only bad thing I can see about them is from the way he describes them is that he is no longer dedicates himself to the perfect shot anymore. He refers to it as getting the broadhead into the general impact kill location because of the 2 inch cutting diameter. He got a 150 class buck this year by hitting the deer too low near where the front leg meets the body and the blade severed the artery. All the luck. I am sticking with the Slick Tricks for now. I still like they way they fly and the huge hole tehy make as well.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:52 AM

You may have hit on the main potential "flaw" of the Rage. There seem to be a lot of bad hits made with the Rage this season that resulted in a recovered deer. I am personally aware of two. I'm hoping that archers will continue to strive for the best possible shot placement, though.

Whether you stick with the Slick Tricks or jump over onto the Rage bandwagon - either way, you are using a great broadhead.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i don't know of any issues with them per-say.....i can tell you that if you are a still hunter like myself...they rank low on good broadheads....even with a new "rubber washer" (sorry the name for that piece has gotten away from me) the blades would pop out from the "locked" position very easy if the arrow just touches a small branch or something like that while walking in the woods...and having to "lock" it back in many times causes the "washer" to get worn down very quickly.......

if you are in a tree stand or blind they would be great..and fly fine (atleast for me) out to 70 yards just like the practice tips

Quick Reply: rage 2 blade flaw? you tell me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.