Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Buying my first bow.  Ideas? >

Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buying my first bow. Ideas?

I like Hoyt grips and the draw, and the vetrix seems to be a little quieter and has slightly less vibrations then the new katera. Although the Katera is a little faster but not enough to make a significant difference.

Today I tried the Black Ice (nice bow very light weight) didn’t like the drenalin, the DXT is okay really like the short ATA but just didn’t feel the best. Marquee (spelling, I know) was okay but the vetrix has a little over the Katera although I would be happy with that one as well. The vetrix is on sale for 679.00 down from 729.00 at scheels so that one is in the lead for now. These Hoyts seem to be very forgiving which I really appreciate.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Well went with the Hoyt Vetrix and have a 28’’ draw and was set up with 29’’ gold tip 5575 arrows. I will be using Hell Razor 100 grain tips this year.

The bow is set up for 60-70 lb draw, do I have enough spine in my arrows and enough weight for this set up? This is for whitetail.

Also noticed that I shoot better with out the comfortable grip on there right now I have it off just using the riser for now. Think I am going to get a square grip or side panels from Hoyt anyone with any other ideas for grips.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: L. Clement

Well went with the Hoyt Vetrix and have a 28’’ draw and was set up with 29’’ gold tip 5575 arrows. I will be using Hell Razor 100 grain tips this year.

The bow is set up for 60-70 lb draw, do I have enough spine in my arrows and enough weight for this set up? This is for whitetail.

Also noticed that I shoot better with out the comfortable grip on there right now I have it off just using the riser for now. Think I am going to get a square grip or side panels from Hoyt anyone with any other ideas for grips.

Thanks
I figured it out this arrow with a what I mentioned above will be 382.7 Grains and have a COF of 11.27. Should be okay for whitetails anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you will be shooting above 65# I'd recommend the Gold Tip 7595. Unless you get awful lucky 5575's just won't be spined heavy enough. And don't rely on field tips to show you. Almost any arrow can be shot out of any bow and group well with target tips. They might fly ugly as all git-out, but they'll group. Once you screw on some broadheads underspined arrows can play hell with your brain, flying all over the place.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Really! I guess I could see what the bow is pulling but I think it is maxed at 70 at this moment. I may try a Broad head and see what it does.

Kind of mad I got set up with the wrong arrows.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Really! I guess I could see what the bow is pulling but I think it is maxed at 70 at this moment. I may try a Broad head and see what it does.

Kind of mad I got set up with the wrong arrows.

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.
I guess I will just back the weight off; I don’t need to be pulling 70 anyway. 60 will be fine.

Don’t really want to buy new arrows
Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

At that length you'll probably be OK up to about 65#. Being as you are not bone headed and willing to back the weight off, then the best thing is to tune the bow and if you have to turn the weight down some then do so, and where it shoots is where it shoots. After that weight the bow and see where it's at for future reference.

Just glad you're not stuck on some number, like 70#. Ya gotta be flexiable. That's why limb bolts are on a bow. For tunability.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah 70 is okay for me to shoot when I am warmed up but after sitting in the cold for 2+ hours it gets more difficult. 50 lb can easily kill a deer in my opinion and even a little less.

I do want some speed but my thing is being more accurate and quite more than any other. I also looked on the chart and found that if I backed down to an 85 grain tip instead of 100 then I will be better then I am now. Of course that according to the chart what so you think? At this point I just want to do what ever is cheapest.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah 70 is okay for me to shoot when I am warmed up but after sitting in the cold for 2+ hours it gets more difficult. 50 lb can easily kill a deer in my opinion and even a little less.

I do want some speed but my thing is being more accurate and quite more than any other. I also looked on the chart and found that if I backed down to an 85 grain tip instead of 100 then I will be better then I am now. Of course that according to the chart what so you think? At this point I just want to do what ever is cheapest.

Thanks
Here are the numbers for the same arrow but with and 85 grain tip
Shaft Weight: 237.8 grains
Fletching: 18.9 grains / Nock: 11 grains / Tip: 100 grains (I guess this includes the screw insert as well)
Total Weight: 367.7 grains (these numbers are of Gold tips web site)

If I did this then I still fall within shooting 5 grains/lb since a 70 bow needs at least a 350 grain arrow. But backing the bow down to 60-65 would probably be the cheapest way depending on the shop that does it. I don’t think at this point I feel comfortable making that change although I think I know how.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

L,

So what's to do? Take a 3/16" allen wrench and remove 1 1/2 turns from each limb. That should be about 4 1/2 Lbs. Close to 65#. Start tuning from there and let everything fall where it does. Then later you can start doing some fine tuning and tweaking for more speed or whatever floats your boat. Ya gotta get a baseline to work from.

Got a copy of Eason's Tuning Guide? If not it's a free download from their website. Lots of info on setup and tuning.

The more I talk with you the more I think you have a pretty good handle on what to do. Just sounds like you maybe lack some self confidence to take the bull by the horns. Go ahead. You really can't hurt anything. Take all the necessary measurements of the bow so you can always go back to previous measurements if you temporarily make a wrong adjustment.

Quick Reply: Buying my first bow. Ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.