Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking for a bow.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for a bow.

I am in the same boat. I went and looked at some models today and thought I would really like the Guardian and the general but I don’t like how stiff the pull is on the string. I really have to over come a lot of resistance with type of bow but I bet that is why they are so wicked fast. Plus I didn’t really like the grip on the bowtech bows (not sure if it can be switched)

The Hoyt (I thought) had the best string draw, silky smooth and I really liked the grip on the Hoyt models. Seems to mold with my hand. Either the Vulcan or Vertrex.

My only problem was I was not allowed to shoot any of these bows so I had to try and distinguish the qualities that I liked by just holding and drawing. Is this what some shops do? Not let you shoot them. They had a nice 3D range in the back of the shop, up to 45 yards. He told me once I picked a bow then he would set it up the way it needed to be for me but it sounded like I needed to make my final decision on a model before he would do that. I thought that was slightly strange but I guess you do not get to shoot fire arms before you buy either. It only makes my decision harder and less secure, I feel that if I am to buy and $800 bow I should be able to try it first or a comparable model.

I keep hearing that I should shoot many bows but was not allowed to shoot any! What would you all do in this situation I assume go somewhere else but this is the only place close.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:15 PM

I use the Hoyt Trykon XL but you should shoot as many different ones as you can and choose for yourself.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

I like Hoyt grips and the draw, and the vetrix seems to be a little quieter and has slightly less vibrations then the new katera. Although the Katera is a little faster but not enough to make a significant difference.

Today I tried the Black Ice (nice bow very light weight) didn’t like the drenalin, the DTX is okay really like the short ATA but just didn’t feel the best. Marquee (spelling, I know) was okay but the vetrix has a little over the Katera although I would be happy with that one as well. The vetrix is on sale for 679.00 down from 729.00 at scheels so I think I may buy that one.