Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Homemade Bowcase??

Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Homemade Bowcase??

I bought my first bow last year, used, and it didn't come with a case. It is a very old PSE. When not in use, it hangs from a hook in my attached garage, with a sheet tucked around it. When I transport it, I put it back in the box that it was shipped in.

I'm really tired of carrying a box around, so I started looking for a decent bow case, hard or soft side. Because the bow is so old, I can not find a case in my price range. I looked all over, but came up with nothing for less than $95. I am a bit reluctant to pay $95 to carry around a bow that I only paid $50 for.

So I finally came up with the idea of doing it myself, or having my wife do it. So I bought the material: Camo flannel for the exterior, cotton batting for the actual protection, and cotton flannel for the lining. I also got a 40 inch zipper. Everything together cost me under $30.

Has anybody ever made their own bowcase(or had somebody make them one)? If so, how did it turn out. Any tips to make it better?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Homemade Bowcase??

Do you have any Pictures, my wife can sew, I like your idea.
I like the price better
Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM

I don't have it done yet. I'm still trying to figure out the sewing machine that my grandma left here in the house. Unfortunately, grandma didn't save the instruction manual, and people want between $15-$20 for a freakin copy. I'll post a couple when I have it done.

I'm thinking about putting a shoulder strap on the case to make it even easier to carry.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure where you are looking for a case at but I have seen several under $95. I have the primos soft case and love it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_62586_400014009_400000000_400014000_400-14-9
Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 AM

The bow is 49" from cam to cam. That case is only 42". I've been to several sporting goods stores and a few pro shops.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are many bow cases out on the market for far less than $95.00, and hard cases at that. Why would anyone wantto use a "soft" case for their expensive bow is beyond me????? Not only would you have to be extra careful when packing it in your truck, or somebody else's, but alsopreventing something hard from banging into it and knocking your sights off, chipping the finish, paint, etc!!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

My $1100Vectrix won't be moved around in anything less than an SKB case. Pricy, yes, but the best bow deserves the best case for transport!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: maytom

There are many bow cases out on the market for far less than $95.00, and hard cases at that. Why would anyone wantto use a "soft" case for their expensive bow is beyond me????? Not only would you have to be extra careful when packing it in your truck, or somebody else's, but alsopreventing something hard from banging into it and knocking your sights off, chipping the finish, paint, etc!!
If you can show me a reasonably priced hard case that will fit a bow that is 49" long, I will be more than happy to buy it. Again, I have been to numerous stores and looked online, and have not been able to find anything at all that is reasonable.

As far as being careful with my bow, it rides in the backseat of the truck, not the bed, sp I really don't worry about it being banged around.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

I am not shure how long they are but my son and I both use the $30 hard case from Wal-Mart. I think they are Plano brand or something. We strap them on atvs with ratchet straps and head to the hills with no problems so far. May be too short for your bow. You said you checked around so you may have looked at them.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: early in

My $1100Vectrix won't be moved around in anything less than an SKB case. Pricy, yes, but the best bow deserves the best case for transport!
i would agree if you used air transport or some kind of shipping method... but for personal transport in the truck out to the stand I can't justify the expense... the el cheapo $29 Plano hard case works great for throwin it in the bed or the back seat of the truck (though you only have about 38-40ish inches to play with)... now, if i were jumpin a plane out west to go on a hunt, different story...

Quick Reply: Homemade Bowcase??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.