Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Archery Equipment for Elk >

Archery Equipment for Elk

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Archery Equipment for Elk

Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Spike

Default Archery Equipment for Elk

Im considering an archery elk hunt next year. Im wondering if the equipment i have now will work. Currently i shoot a PSE Carrera at 65 lbs, gold tip arrows 29" with Spitfire 100g broadheads fly 275 ft per second. Would this combo be sufficient for elk? Ive been bowhunting for about 15 yrs now and have done alot of shooting. I feel im accurate out to 50 yrs with this bow.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Archery Equipment for Elk

I have taken two bulls with Goldtips. My bow was shooting in the 260s with a 28 3/4 inch arrow, 85 grain thunder head and at 70 lbs and passed through both of then one was at 40 yards and one was a little over 30 yard found the arrow both time stuck in the ground. I had a buddy shoot a cow at 30 yard once with goldtips and we had to dig the arrow out of a tree after a pass through. I also seen one other buddies once shoot a really big bull at a little over 50 yards with a acc and passed through it with 70lb bow. Your set up is really sounds good for Elk hunting,

Good luck
Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Spike

What about spitfires?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, a PSE won't work on elk. You need to sell it and go buy a Bowtech.

[8D]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe you're even asking this question, but the answer is YES. The only thng you need to be sure of is whether mechanical heads are legal where you are going to hunt. Or if it's a guided hunt whether the outfitter will allow them. Some don't as they've seen some bad experiences with them.

Other than that you're good to go.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then when you grow up greg,you'll be able to handle a mathews

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Nope, a PSE won't work on elk. You need to sell it and go buy a Bowtech.

[8D]
Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

The only thng you need to be sure of is whether mechanical heads are legal where you are going to hunt.
Yep, mechanicals are illegal in Idaho.

Elk are awful tough so don't be surprised if you don't get a pass through. I knowall of theelk my friends shot this year (3) didn't have pass thrus, and one was shot at 20 yards with an 80# bow.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Your bow and arrow shafts will work fine. I would consider going to a different broadhead, though. The G5 Montec as well as the NAP Hellrazor are both very popular out here. Need to be scarey sharp. And the good old Muzzy is a proven standby. I'm sure many others will work as well - but these are the ones that I personally have confidence that will work on game this large.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's my opinion and has been proven that a longer,sleeker,less angle head will penetrate better than a short,steeper angled head. By this I mean razorcaps vs the new "mini" short heads. The razorcap don't have a bigger cutting diameter however it arrives to it gently and gradually,creating less drag. For that reason I use razorcaps. I have gotten complete pass-thrus,even on two elk and a 435 pound boar,since I switched to razorcap.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 PM

marcusjb I had one buddy shoot one at 20 yards with a 80 lb compound and 2613 xx78s. the arrow didn't pass through, but had broken into 4 almost even peaces. We thought by looking at it from the impack 3 where inside and one had fallen when it hit him