Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best Safety Harness...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Best Safety Harness...

I'm thinking about hunting out of a climbing tree stand for the first time this season.....any suggestions as to which safety harness system works the best and is easiest to use??? Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Safety Harness...

If you're buying a stand (any stand) it will have a full harness of some kind with it. However these are pretty generic and usually a pain in the butt.

There are several good ones out there. One of the better ones is the Seat-o-the-Pants, but straps can tangle if you don't take care when you take it off. I use one and have just found that marking one side (right or left) straps with a magic marker helps. Plus, as with anything, the more you use it the more you find out how to hang or lay it so it's not so tangled.

Probably one of the easiest to use is the Hunter's Safety System. All the straps are within a vest except the leg straps and these have seat belt buckles to hook up. There are several models with varying prices from about $90 to $130, but then I don't put a price on my life anymore.

I figure it this way. The average Joe has X amount of life insurance and pays hundreds of dollars for every year---maybe thousands---and you gotta die to collect on it. With a harness you pay one time and if you ever need it's benefits it's likely going to save your life or at the minimum serious injury. Sounds like a better deal to me.

I not only hook mine up when up in a tree. I hook it up before climbing and move it up the tree with me. It makes climbing a couple minutes longer and cumbersome. Most stands are pretty good these days and you're not going to fall, but hey, like I said. What's your life worth. You buy car insurance to protect against an accident that may never happen. Same theory here.

You should practice a lot before hunting. Know what you're doing.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just got the hunter safety system. Very comforatable and easy to use.
I had the Hunt 'Em High vest, but i found the leg straps to be extremely uncomfortable.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 AM

I really like my/the new seat-o-pants from summit. Very comfortable, well constructed, easy to get in and out, easy to use, and I have zero problem with tangling.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter Safety System Pro is a really nice one, but a little on the pricey side.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:22 PM

hunter safety system mesh. i don't think anyone will every top it.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a hunter safery system pro series and love it. Ive used seat of the pants and there not too bad either. I bought my hunter safety system for like $105 I think and thats not much more thana good seat of the pants, or a loggy bayour transformer.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Good point fisher I also use mine going up and down the tree.If you think about it this is the most dangerous time when in a tree stand.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I always used mine once in the tree but never going up/down it almost cost me my life!! from fall 2005 til now 4 surgeries basically had to rebuild my cervical spine was 1/4inch from being paralyzed also the broken collarbone and shoulderblade were a touch painful be smart us it going up and down thats when you need it most.

Also on hunter safety system spend the $ and get the linemans belt awesome for hanging the hang on stands and safe too you can't put a price on your life your family needs you
Old 10-21-2007, 01:00 AM

Hunter Safety System. Bought mine in the bargin cave at Cabelas, $40 cause box was open. I like everything about it but the tree strap. I modified it with a climbers carabiner so its a quick hook up. Never more and 6 feet off the ground with out it.

Quick Reply: Best Safety Harness...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.