Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Drop Zone fall away rest noise!! >

Drop Zone fall away rest noise!!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Drop Zone fall away rest noise!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Drop Zone fall away rest noise!!

I bought a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone rest for my bow and it makes a metal to metal contact noise aftereach shot. I now hear that there is a silence kit you can buy for it that eliminates this noise. Did anyone try this kit out?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Drop Zone fall away rest noise!!

Yes, I had the Drop Zone Guide Series with the hush kit and it was still too noisy.I now have DMI Expert II, it's better but still not absolutely silent. Would like to know if there is a drop away rest made that is silent? Of the 3 I've tried, Trophy Taker , DZ and DMI, the DMI is the quietest, but not by much.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check and see if the launcher arm drops 'in between' the curved frame of the rest. The launcher is not supposed to be touching either side. I shoot the Guide series and have no problems. You can make your own hush kit using mole skin, but this is really notnecessary.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM

I HAVE THE QAD ULTRA HD REST. I HAVEN'T NOTICED ANY NOISE FROM IT. I KNOW I'M SHOOTING BETTER WITH IT. IT HAS A Harmonic Dampener ON IT WHICH REALLY SEEMS TO HELP ON VIBERATION. IT IS ALSO ONE OF THE FEW DROP AWAYS THAT CAN BE LOCKED INTO PLACE AND IT CAN BE LET DOWN AT FULL DRAW AND NOT DROP AND MAKE NOISE. ME AND ANOTHER GUY BOTH SWITCHED TO THEM THIS YEAR. HE'S SHOOTING HIS OUT OF THE X-FORCE (WHICH IS SMOKIN FAST) AND HAVING NO CLEARENCE PROMBLEMS. WE'VE SHOT AT LEAST 200-300 OR MORE ARROWS A PIECE OUT OF IT WITH NO PROBLEMS. http://www.qadinc.com/c-5-.aspx IS THE LINK TO WATCH A VIDEO DEMO OF IT. THEY RETAIL FOR ABOUT $130 AT CABELAS AND BASSPRO, BUT MOST LOCAL SHOPS SELL THEM FOR 100-115. LOOK AROUND AND SAVE A FEW $ ON ANY REST YOU CHOOSE. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PICK AND ALWAYS.......GOOD HUNTIN
Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

IMO The biggest problem with the DZ rest is the teflon sleeves that the drop arm glides on. There are 2 sleeves and if one of these sleeves gets a wrinkle in it, it can cause the drop arm to hang up and not drop down properly. Mine dropped down with a whipping motion, the inside of the drop arm dropping first, the outside/end of the drop arm dropped slower. When the 2nd FOB hit the outside of the drop arm, it bent so bad that the drop arm couldn't drop into the housing
Now I know most people are not shooting FOB's but if you do, and your DZ rest isn't set up to drop fast enough, the FOB (and I've heard vanes will also) hits the drop arm, it puts a little crease in the teflon sleeves at least, at worst, it bends everything up. This is why I had to junk my DZ and get a new rest installed 1 week before season starts.
The drop arm on the DZ rest is made of soft brass. It bends easy and the holes in the drop arm that conect the drop arm to the rest will deform easily . When these holes get deformed, out of round, the drop arm can contact the rest housing. Now the FOB did a number on my rest, destroyed it with 1 shot. Shooting vanes and having the rest set up properly, the rest should last a lot longer but keep an eye on the teflon sleeves and drop arm. Don't let any dirt or debri get into the housing near the teflon sleeves either. If you do, take it apart and clean it out. The teflon is the lubrication and if it's dirty or wrinkled the arm won't drop evenly or smoothly. If you are seeing any wiggle in the drop arm, make sure it can't touch the housing. If the drop arm can touch the housing, call DZ and get a rebuild kit. When you get the rebuild kit, compare the new parts to the old. They sent me parts that were too long, the sleeves had to be cut and the bolts and springs they sent were also too long, I had to use the original bolts and springs. Installing the sleeves when they are too long will destroy the sleeves as soon as the bolts get tightened. If I was hunting with a DZ I would certainly want to have a rebuild kit handy. If you have any issues with it, you can see 1 teflon sleeve with out taking it appart. Look at that sleeve and if you see any flaws in the sleeve, just be ware that the problem may get worse the more you shoot, it's time to get a rebuild kit or at least new teflon sleeves.
Keep in mind that I destroyed my DZ with an FOB. Since doing so, I've talked with other DZ shooters and have been told that you still can ruin a DZ with vanes if the vanes are catching the drop arm before it drops all the way down into the housing. With vanes the damage may not be as evident right away. All it takes is a little dent or crease in the teflon sleeves that will gradually get worse with every shot and lead to failure. One hard shot from an FOB and there's no doubt, the next shot will fail. If the rest is set up properly in the first place, you shouldn't have any issues the rest should perform as designed. Trial and error is not recomended at all. Have someone who knows what they are doing set it up, keep an eye on those teflon sleeves and replace them at first sign of wear or damage.
Please don't take this as I'm trashing Drop Zone. If someone would have told me about this earlier, I'd still be using the DZ. It is a bit noisy but so are all the other drop aways I've had. My current DMI rest is a little more quiet but not enough to warrent changing for that reason alone. The design and the teflon sleeves was enough for me to want to change, but it was there customer service that was the final straw. They took 9 days to send me the wrong parts, then told me to send the rest in because they sent the only parts they had, being 1/4" too long of bolts, springs and sleeves, they'd have to "retrofit" the new parts, 3-5 weeks! I got the DMI rest in 36 hours,had it installed, then DZ desides to send me a new rest.....it got here yesterday, 2 days before season, 3 1/2 weeks after my first complaint, about 5 emails and 10 phone calls later. In their defense, DZ was recently bought out by Bear Archery and are still working out the bumps in the merger, customer service should get better as they get settled and get to know the new products they've aquired and maybe figure out what parts go to what? I just didn't have the time to wait.
I really need to shoot today, make sure I'm sighted in and the DMI rest is broken in, replace practice BH's with new sharp ones, and tune 'em. I was shooting great last night and then something happened. Seems I had too much wax on my buss cables, the rest lanyard knot was sliding up the cable causing the rest to drop too soon. Took it to the bow shop just in time, they retied the knots, I shot 4 arrows in the dark, raised my sight back up and shot 4 bullseyes at 20 yards. It was so dark I couldn't follow my arrows or see where they hit, but I got all 4. I need to get on the roof and shoot, but the wind is just a howling today already 25-30 mph and supposed to get worse. and tomorrow morning we have a frost warning allready! 2nd ealiest frost ever. I won't hunt til I've done more shooting, looks like I'm going to have to miss my opening morning because of my rest fiasco. I don't mind practicing in the wind but setting up my sight is a different matter. Need 1 hour with no wind, weather man isn't helping. Plan B, it just hit me. My mentors favorite stand is low in a valley, thick woods, about as protected from wind as anywhere, 15 high, easy to climb,easy to get to, perfect place to sight in today. He'll never know. lmao I could leave my 3d deer there, see if he shoots it opening morning? Last year I stole all his yardage markers and put up pink flamingos in there place. lol
Good luck, I got to go.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

IMO the quietest I've used is a NAP Quicktune. When I switched to the DZ I noticed it was louder....There is hush kit or something you can buy. I put a piece of an old string leech where the arm hits the housing and it took care of it .....FOBs are flyng great out of it.

A silent bow is still loud as hell to a deer......
Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take the rest apart. The bottom of the housing where the arm is attached to the 2 posts can be seen. Place a piece of moleskin or thick felt between where the two screws pass thru the bottom of the housing. You will want to make sure this sticks firmly so that it will not come up and interfere with the operation of the rest when the arm drops. Next, take another set of rubber O-rings the same size as the factory ones on the screws and add them to the screws.(You should then have 2 O-rings on each screw. Put the rest back together. Now, take a piece of the same felt or moleskin (I prefer the thicker felt. Can be purchased in the craft dept at Wally World) and cut a piece long enough and wide enough to stick to the sides of the rest in the slot where the drop bar falls. Stick this in there securely so that it does not actually touch the drop bar, but sets just a hair under it. When the drop falls, the force will allow it to hit the felt. This made my rest so quiet, I can now hear nothing but my release click when I shoot.

By the way, this is the guide series and it does have the harmonic dampener which also helps.

LT
Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have never had a problem with my DZ being loud. I don't have thehush kit either.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Take the rest apart. The bottom of the housing where the arm is attached to the 2 posts can be seen. Place a piece of moleskin or thick felt between where the two screws pass thru the bottom of the housing. You will want to make sure this sticks firmly so that it will not come up and interfere with the operation of the rest when the arm drops. Next, take another set of rubber O-rings the same size as the factory ones on the screws and add them to the screws.(You should then have 2 O-rings on each screw. Put the rest back together. Now, take a piece of the same felt or moleskin (I prefer the thicker felt. Can be purchased in the craft dept at Wally World) and cut a piece long enough and wide enough to stick to the sides of the rest in the slot where the drop bar falls. Stick this in there securely so that it does not actually touch the drop bar, but sets just a hair under it. When the drop falls, the force will allow it to hit the felt. This made my rest so quiet, I can now hear nothing but my release click when I shoot.

By the way, this is the guide series and it does have the harmonic dampener which also helps.

LT
Thanks!!! That's the info I needed!!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 PM

buy a ripcord

Quick Reply: Drop Zone fall away rest noise!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.