Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Thermocell

Old 09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Thermocell

Has anyone who uses a thermocell ever ben busted by an animal. I thought they were sent free. I was in Canada last week bear hunting and decided to use my thermocell (first time using it) because themesquiteos could have carried me away.After it warmed up I could smell it, but I decided to keep it runnining and give it more time. I wish I had'nt. I had a mature bear, around the 350-400lbs range walk within 10ft of my stand downwind. I watched him lift his head and smell the air and then turn around and walk back the way he came. It could have been me that he smelled but I doubt it, I am very careful about controlling my sent. I was just curious if anyone has hadsimilar experiences using the thermocell.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Thermocell

Nope never have had a problem, have had game walk right up to the blind, without a hint of bother.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 PM

nope, have had 3 does under my stand for ten minutes and no spooking, have shot a few deer with it on
Lenny

Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 AM

never been busted
Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Careful or not, my guess is that he smelled you and not the thermocell. The thermocell does give off the very slightest of a scent, but I believe it's gone before it gets close to the ground. May sound silly, but I think the scent from a human is "heavier" if you will...than that from a thermocell and more likely to make it to the ground.
Could be too that he got some scent from you when you walked in and mistakenly touched a tree or branch.

ORIGINAL: ffmike

Has anyone who uses a thermocell ever ben busted by an animal. I thought they were sent free. I was in Canada last week bear hunting and decided to use my thermocell (first time using it) because themesquiteos could have carried me away.After it warmed up I could smell it, but I decided to keep it runnining and give it more time. I wish I had'nt. I had a mature bear, around the 350-400lbs range walk within 10ft of my stand downwind. I watched him lift his head and smell the air and then turn around and walk back the way he came. It could have been me that he smelled but I doubt it, I am very careful about controlling my sent. I was just curious if anyone has hadsimilar experiences using the thermocell.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think I've been busted by a big boar hog. Like you it could have been me but I'm very careful about scent control. I have had deer down wind at 5 yds and not get busted. I believe that deer don't yet equate the smell to danger. Give it a season or 2 and things might change. Only time will tell. i think that big 'ol hog got big by being very wary. He smelled something he couldn't identify and took off.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

you guys have thermacell, I have DEET and it works good on insects as well as deer.....

F.[:@]
Old 09-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Just started using one this year and have had deer 12 yards from stand.Have not been busted yet, and wish I had bought it along time ago, no problems with bugs.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

anyone see these new stickers that are supposed to repel bugs? anyone try them?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

anyone see these new stickers that are supposed to repel bugs? anyone try them?
The don't bug me patch? Yeah I got some. I don't know that they work that great but I have not been bothered a lot by bugs scouting or hunting. This weekend it will be hotter and I will use both the patch and thremacell. Oh and the patch is just vitamin B1 or B something like that.

Quick Reply: Thermocell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.