Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

GPS

Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default GPS

ok, I'm getting one more step closer to doing some hunting.
I found ( thank you Bailsuk ) a spanish estate of about 900 hectares of fenced hunting grounds filled with deer and wild boar.
it would bespot and stalk hunting with a few days of scouting in advance.
I think a GPS would come in handy, before and after shooting and tracking.
Any advice before I rush to the stores come next month ?

Franco, el Belgico loco
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Default RE: GPS

Well, if you ever think you may get to do some hunting with a buddy....check out the Garmin RINO series of GPS units. My father and I have the RINO 120. It doubles as a walkie-talkie AND GPS unit. I can "beam" my location to him and he can beam his to me. We can go right to each other and help with deer that are down.

This fall will be the first field test of these units for us.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Garmin are your best bet Farank , found this sight ... http://www.smgeurope.com/productList.cfm?id=24See what you think . Camo model available , just don't drop it . http://www.smgeurope.com/product_display.cfm?id=84&Type=24

This is the model i have , its the bees knees . never get lost with this . http://www.smgeurope.com/product_dis...93&Type=24 .

Depends on what you wanna do , but the eTrex vista HCx will do practically anything .

Hope it helps .

Dave
Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

What the hell is a hectare? You guys still using cubits too?
What about chains?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I will 2nd the comment to stick with the Garmin units. They are by far the easiest to use.

I have an eTrex Legend Cx and am relatively pleased with it. Normally I just leave it in the holster on my belt and if I need to reference it, I have my full track to look pack on.

One thought, the antenna on the eTrex line is an internal antenna and is not as sensitive as the ones in the 60Cx and 60Csx series. This means that if you get under the tree canopy you have a pretty good shot at loosing your GPS lock. According to my reading the 60 series units are less prone to this. Then again they are a couple hundred dollars more.

All in all, any of the eTrex units will probably suit you just fine, however if being under heavy tree cover is going to be a regular occurance, go with one with an extrenal antenna.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

yes, it's called the metric system, once there was this french dude with a funny hat and one hand tucked in his vest.....it all started with him...

and yes, we still use chains and hit our women over the head with a club if we feel the urge to copulate......if you have a better pick up line than this, please do share......

F.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an etrex. Thinking of stepping up but don't know if I would like more info. Here's a tip. Record the gps cordnents of where you mark and then get some maps. The new hybrids are very nice. You'll learn a lot putting that info together. The etrex $100 will only tell you where you are not where you've been, gps wise.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:58 AM

I third or fourth the Garmin. I have the Rhino and won't go out with out it.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

I just got my Garmin 76csx last week and am still getting use to it. So far, so good. I went with the 76 because I will also use it on the boat with the "blue chart" software and on the road for navigation. I'm currently waiting on my TOPO software to be delivered.
I did a lot of research as far as pricing goes and if you have not ordered yet, be sure to check out PCNation.com. That is where I found the lowest price on the GPS unit itself. For software, Amazon.com was the best.
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Spike

I have the Garmin etrex Legend. I like it alot. I'm thinking of upgrading to color unit with a little more memory. I like the MapSource topo CD's too. Thepreloaded factory map isn't very detailed. I like having the topo features, extra country roads instead of the majorones, rivers, lakes, etc. It come in handy fishing too. http://www.thegpsstore.com/ has pretty good prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.