Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Wisker Biscuit vs. Dropaway war continues... >

Wisker Biscuit vs. Dropaway war continues...

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Wisker Biscuit vs. Dropaway war continues...

Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wisker Biscuit vs. Dropaway war continues...

I know this argument has been going on for some time but I'd like to approach it from a different standpoint. I just bought a Diamond Black Ice yesterday at Cabellas. I tried the Vectrix and the Drenalin but at the end of the day the $1,200 of Cabelas gift cards helped to sway me towards the Black Ice. I think it was a good decision.

Now for the hard part. The arrow rest. This is only my 3rd year to bow hunt so I am having an issue with selecting a rest. I have only shot Wisker Biscuits to date. I love them. They are fool proof and I am a big proponent of keeping it simple. Less moving parts, less to go wrong. I think they are VERY hard on fletchings and can really tear up your arrows but I can live with this as long as I inspect the arrows I take into the field. I think they probably slow down your arrow, but taking 10 feet off of 315 feet per seconds just doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

But last year something happened that really bothered me. I had a buck come in to about 23 yards. When I pulled my string back the buck stopped in his tracks. Although I waited for a tree to block his view of me I know he heard me. And what he heard was my carbon arrow scrapping across the wiskers of the biscuit during my draw. I have read every post on this site concenring WB's and fall-aways and no one has really addressed the noisea biscuits makes prior to releasing the arrow. I don't reall care about the noise after I pull that trigger because at 315 feet per second I just don't think it matters. But if a mature bucks can bust me drawing on him then I am screwed every time.

I bought a RipCordon the advice of a Cabelas bow technician. He seems pretty straight up. I also hear about a numebr of Fall away rest failing. Springs break, strings breakand all sorts of other problems. But they can also be very silent.

So I'd like to hear what others think about this. I want the simplest solution but I also have to have the quietest solution.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisker Biscuit vs. Dropaway war continues...

3stone,

FYI, I heard that some arrow finishes make a lot more noise than others.

My non-camo GT Hunter XT 5575s are quiet on the WB, but I've heard that the camo arrows
are a little noisier.

Anyway, one I looked at was the Muzzy Zero Effect. Greg/MO put up a great review on this forum.
I might switch to that just to do it next year.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

LeBeauHunter,

That makes sense. I never really thought about the arrow being the problem. That being said, does anyone who is reading the know of the quietest arrow to use on a biscuit?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, the Ripcord is the way to go.....either that, or the QAD version of the same rest. Just put some felt or something in the bottom the arrow-holder-thingy, lock it up into shooting position, and you'll be good to go. No problems yet. Never shot a WB, but have heard enough bad stuff about them, that I'll just stick with the Ripcord.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have used both the Rip Cord and the WB. Unfortunately, the cord on my Rip Cordbroke during a 3-D Tournament and even though I had a backup bow, I was not very happy. I use a launcher style or fall away for 3-D but strictly WB for hunting. Also, I shoot Blazer Vanes and after many shots, I notice no significant wear on either the bisquit or the vanes. However, since you have already purchased the Rip Cord, inspect it often especially prior to a hunt, and I think you will be happy with its performance.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Hey 3Stone. It's me again. I should have mentioned that I have shot both Easton ACC's and Carbon Express Maxima's out of my bisquit and I don't perceive any drag noise. Also, I didn't shoot a bisquit for several years because I am a short draw (27") and didn't want to lose speed. However, my son-in-law owns an Archery Shop in Elkins, W. Va. and he told me that they had tested dozens of them. He said the most they had ever lost was 2 fps and it was usually 1 fps or nothing. I amfrom the "show me" generation so I bought one and chronographed my bow with a bodoodle and then with the bisquit. I lost 1 fps and that is nothing to worry about.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the new Epic St's through my WB. They are a slick black shaft and are very quiet. Also with 2" blazers, you will not have a problem at all with the vanes coming loose. My old arrows were dull black and not so slick, they made noise. I personally like the WB, I think its a great hunting rest, I wouldn't trade for anything.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 PM

I shoot the QAD right now but will be switching whenI get my new bow, probably to a Muzzy Zero Effect. I just have one qeustion for anyone who shoots a MZE, are they very accurate?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I shot a Whisker Biscuit, I found the Beman ICS Hunters (black), to be the most quiet arrow while drawing the bow.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

There have been lots of posts regarding the noise issue.seems most folkssay that Aluminum and the camo finished arrows are noiseyand that the carbonstake care of the problem. Looks likeyou've already fixed it though by buying the ripcord.

Quick Reply: Wisker Biscuit vs. Dropaway war continues...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.