Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

sonic broadheads

Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Default sonic broadheads

Hey guys, I am new to the forum here and so far have found a lot of good info. I was just wondering if anyone here has had luck with the sonic heads. I picked some up and hope that they will work great but I would love to hear what someone with personal experience has to say about them.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sonic broadheads

They obviously fly well but they don't seem to be a popular choice. They seemed to be talked about for awhile on different forums as they really tried to hype 'em up, they even gave many of us FREE heads just to get us to talk about 'em. However,I personally found the blade tips a bit delicate. They'd bend and dull so easily in any test media I fired them into.

For my money there are MUCH better b-heads available but good luck with your choice. Surely you can gather some positive feedback here.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:32 PM

well, I guess if anyone has any suggestions on any other good choices I would love to hear them. I will probably stick to the sonics this year, but If I have bad luck with them, I would like to know what else to try. I have heard plenty of good things about g5 and muzzys, but I kinda like the idea of zero plane heads.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

i ended up gettin atleast 2 of the free heads..i know they sent me atleast 2 because the first one wasnt good so they sent out a second round. what did i find?? it shot ok. but my bow is well tuned. i was shooting mechanicals and 2 or 3 other fixed heads last year and field points all in the same group.

sharp? not sharp enough. the first one they sent felt like a practice blade. i didnt even fear getting cut by it. the 2nd was a bit better but not much.

strong? dependable?? nope. i like to shoot my broadheads into wood on a wooden pallet to see how the blades stand in. i know its hard enough to show damage but not bust arrows or completely stop it like a brick wall...lets just say they didnt stand up to the wooden pallet. Muzzys did though. the only muzzys ive been able to break was the one i shot at a steel shouvle at a angle. shouldnt done that..it blew up my arrow...i shot another muzzy into the nailed portion of the pallet to see what it would do. it hit the nail and kept on goin. i was impressed. it did break 1 blade, but it stayed intact and didnt bend. DID bend the steel nail.

i like my Muzzy heads. everyone always seems to go after the newest hottest heads out there....but nearly everyone shot muzzies at one time or another. they are good heads. price isnt bad and you can find them anywhere...even walmart in a pinch
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated by mauser06 you can't go wrong with Muzzy's. They're pretty much the gold standard in replacement heads and have been around for a long time. The make the MX series now for the fast bows. However, I still shoot the full length Muzzy's with out issue at over 290 fps.

Slicktricks seem to be the hot item right now.

Wac'em Triton (XL)also get good reviews.(If my Muzzy's didn't work so well I'd try these)

G5 Striker (replacement)& Montec(fixed) are good heads too.

Cut on contact heads penetrate better.

All of the heads listed have been designed for high speed bows and are not supposed to plane at speeds over 300 fps.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I almost responded right away to your question, but knew someone else would probably say exactly what I would have... IL-Cornfed wrote EXACTLY what I was going to, down to and including receiving the free heads. As he stated, many of us received those heads, and the initial performance reviews were so bad from the end users that the company re-sent out some more, claiming some manufacturing errors that slipped through or something like that. Problem was, the second round of heads performed just as poorly as the first did. [:-]

I've got some sitting in my archery shop that I'll save for shooting at jackrabbits after I take my pronghorn when I head out west...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Almost missed this part...
well, I guess if anyone has any suggestions on any other good choices I would love to hear them.
Rave reviews are pouring in from all places about Muzzy's new MX-3.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also received 2 of the free sonics because they said one might have been defective in some way. I gave both of mine away. Muzzy MX3 is what I am shooting.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 PM

well thanks for the info guys. I figure since I have the sonics, I might as well do some torture tests on them to see how they hold up, but otherwise, all those brands that you guys posted are sitting on the local archery shops shelves.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot the Sonic broadheads last year and put an arrow straight through a buck broadside at 15 yards. Whati like about them is they fly exactly like field tips and penetrate very good. What i dont like about them is the blades feel like butter knives, but i guess its sharp enough since i had a pass thru with them. Also, i dont really like the way the blades fit together. It takes a few times to get them square. Im gonna try Slick Tricks this year since ive heard very good things about them.

Quick Reply: sonic broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.