Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Fixed Blade or Mechanicals >

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

The only thing I can see thathas not been mentioned is that a lot of mechanicals open up with the blades near or close to 90 degrees out. Fixed blades have a much steeper angle back. I have heard people compare the two by saying the mechanical "chops its way through" while the fixed blade "slices through". I like to picture this like pushing straight down on a loft of bread. The bread gets mashed down until the blade cuts through. An artery wouldn't bleed as well cut like this compared to the slicing action of a fixed blade. This "chopping" action also makes the blade loss energy which results in fewer pass throughs. I was told to use fixed blades except on turkeys where you want the arrow to stay in the bird. That way the bird will fight with the arrow and not run off or fly away.

This is just what I hear but it makes good sence to me. I am not even on the same planet as the experts in the field.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

i use a 2inch cut head with 2 blades thatswing back.not because of tuning problems.
my first kill with these heads left a great blood trail and many blood trails followed,dont know about the 2 blade slice closing faster than a three blade hole just dont see it.chopping or jagged cuts are from serrated blades or dull blades mech. or fixed.
vortex heads work for my setup, pass throughs areno problems, if it aint broke i dont fluck with it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed dozens of deer with both mechanicals and fixed blades.I've never lost a deer with a mechanical butI have experienced a lack of penetration on a few shots.I've broken blades or had the blades almost fall out at least 50% of the time.I've never gut shot a deer so I can't see how a wide mechanical would ever have been a benefit on a questiobale shot.I've never not had a fixed blade completely penetrate,regardless of the angle,even through heavy bone.I've never broken a blade with a fixed position head.In fact,last fall Ikilled a 10 point,two doe and a mature gobbler with the same slick trick.Most deer I shoot,fall with sight regardless of the head but my 3 longest blood trails were with mechanicals.All three shots were good butI broke blades each time.Still none of the deer went more than 150 yards.I've never noticed the deer dying or going down any faster with a 1.75" jackhammer or a 4 bladed slick trick or muzzy.With a good quality fixed head,I always expect full penetrationwith a complete passthrough and a broadhead that's still intact to cause the most amount of damage the entire way through an animal.

Blood trails are directly related to the angle and position of the wounds.Even with a perfect shot,I've seen sparse blood trails with rifles,mechanicals and fixed blades.In my experience,the type of broadhead used,has no direct link to the amount of blood you can expect to find.Hair,fat and body organs can all plug up a hole.

Mechanical broadheads will certainly kill deer but to say they're superior to fixed headsis ludicrous.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougE

I've killed dozens of deer with both mechanicals and fixed blades.I've never lost a deer with a mechanical butI have experienced a lack of penetration on a few shots.I've broken blades or had the blades almost fall out at least 50% of the time.I've never gut shot a deer so I can't see how a wide mechanical would ever have been a benefit on a questiobale shot.I've never not had a fixed blade completely penetrate,regardless of the angle,even through heavy bone.I've never broken a blade with a fixed position head.In fact,last fall Ikilled a 10 point,two doe and a mature gobbler with the same slick trick.Most deer I shoot,fall with sight regardless of the head but my 3 longest blood trails were with mechanicals.All three shots were good butI broke blades each time.Still none of the deer went more than 150 yards.I've never noticed the deer dying or going down any faster with a 1.75" jackhammer or a 4 bladed slick trick or muzzy.With a good quality fixed head,I always expect full penetrationwith a complete passthrough and a broadhead that's still intact to cause the most amount of damage the entire way through an animal.

Blood trails are directly related to the angle and position of the wounds.Even with a perfect shot,I've seen sparse blood trails with rifles,mechanicals and fixed blades.In my experience,the type of broadhead used,has no direct link to the amount of blood you can expect to find.Hair,fat and body organs can all plug up a hole.

Mechanical broadheads will certainly kill deer but to say they're superior to fixed headsis ludicrous.

Would you rather get shot through the guts with a 22 hole or a slug?

This is why shooting a wide cut expandable BH through the guts would benefit you. It will do more damage.

And if I understand you correctly, EVERY deer you have shot with a fixed blade has completely passed through and you have NEVER broken a blade on a fixed head.

I am not calling you a liar but this is very hard to believe. In my 25 years of bowhunting I have not always got complete passthroughs with a fixed head and I have broken a few blades.

In time it happens to everybody.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Spike

I really don't see any bennefit to shooting a mechanical either. Fixed blades now are flying just as good mechanicals and are simple, stronger, and penetrate better. When i am hunting i want a setup that issimple and consistant. Just about all my friends and family that bowhunt has tried the mechanicals at one point, and everyone of them has switched back to fixed heads cause of broken blades, failure to open and lack of penetration. I want a broadhead that can blow through both shoulders and still be intact. I know mechanicals work, but i also agree withDouge thatthey are in no way superior over a fixed blade.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never broken a blade on a fixed head.Last year I killed three deer and a turkey with the same head and never even replaced the blades.All I did was resharpen them.I've never been able to re-use any mechanical without having to replace the blades.I've shot deer with a fixed blade where the arrow didn't bury in the dirt but there was always an exit wound.Not the case every time with mechanicals.

Iagree that a mechanical may have an advantage with a gut shot butit would have a big disadvantage if you hit heavy bone so the point is moot.I've contacted heavy bone many times but I've never gut shot a deer.

Again,no one is saying mechanicals are junk or won't kill a deer.Most people use mechanicals for one of two reason.First,they use them because they can't get their broadheads to fly strait.My opinion is that screwing on a mechanical to mask poor arrow flight is a huge mistake and one of the reasons we hear so many horror stiries about mechanicals.My bow shoots in excess of 290 fps and I have no problems getting fieldpoint accuracy with broadheads.the second reason people use them is because they precieve a widecutting diameter as an advantage.In my experience,and I've killed a bunch of deer with wide mechanicals,it makes no differance what so ever.A double lung shot should result in a deer going down within seconds,regardless of the broadhead.In the event of a gut shot,I'll give the nod to a mechanical butI think you're far more likely to encounter heavy bone,especially when hunting from a treestand and a wide mechanical will never outperform a fixed head in that situation.Mechanical work.i've proved it many times but in my excperience,their disadvantages far outweigh the advantage of an easier recovery from the occassional gut shot.

Regarding a gut shot.I've trailed and recovered alot of gut shot deer shot by family and friends.I've also been on hand when a few were lost.In most cases,recovery will depend on how long the deer has been given a chance to lay down and how little it's been pushed.i've seen deer not recovered after being gut shot with a 30-06 because they were pushed too quickly.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:26 AM

This is my first post so Hello to all. That said I think we are arguing over which is more 6 or 1/2 dozen. I prefer fixed broadheads but I am comfortable with them, other fellow hunters like mechanicals. It comes down to what works for you, in your years of tuning and preening your individual setups. My gold tip xt hunters with mx-4 heads wont shoot well in YOUR setups just like your Gold stalkers with rocket mechanicals wont shoot very well in my setup. I think we forget our past where there is undeniable evidence that many many animals were take with proper shot placement and simple points made of flint or quartz, on very simple bows.
Perhaps it just comes down to what works for YOU!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

They both work but to say that mechanicals are superior is way out in left field.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

As we all know every shot is not a perfect shot (double lung). I would much more prefer a 2" expandable (rear opening) doing the damage on a not so perfect of a shot than a 1"-1 1/4" fixed. There is more room for error.

I believe a 2" rear opening expandable is every bit as good if not better than a fixed.

There is a reason why a lot of the big time hunters are shooting the Rage and it's not always about the money.Contrary to what most of you believe, they believe it is the best head to bring the animal down quickly.

Most shows can get any of the top broadhead companys to sponsor their show, but they choose the one they believe in. I am not saying this happens all the time but most of the time.

Remember, the top shows livelihood depends on shooting animals not wounding animals.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you know that any of the top manufacturers can get the shows to sponsor their broadheads?Sorry but those shows are all about money and most of the scenes are edited and replayed.In other words,they act much of the time.If you think deer aren't wounded and lost,you're head is in the sand.they simply don'thave to show it.

It's true that not every shot is perfect.I've killed dozens of deer with a bow and never gut shot one.However,I've hit heavy bone many times.You're far more likely to hit heavy bone than make a gut shot,especially when hunting from an elevated stand.In that situation,a strong fixed blade will outperform a wide mechanical every time.

Quick Reply: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.