Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight >

Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight

Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight

The archery industry is actually way behind the curve when it comes to red dot sights. There is nothing on the market that comes even close to an Aimpoint or EOTech (red dots available for firearms).

It is definitely nice to see that someone is making progress rather than being complacent with whats already out there.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 AM

I am glad that worked for you armedic. It makes sense once you have it all set up to do it that way. The sight does take some time and tinkering but once you have it set up it really works well. I love being able to turn the dial and go from pendulum to fixed pins without moving the sight.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 AM

I can actually shoot tighter groups with this sight, not sure why yet, maybe because there's nothing blocking the target. I could actually shoot a bullseye consistently from over 30yds. There seems to be a couple of more pins under where I have the 40yd set for but I probably wont try for a 50yd pin. I think 40yds is probably good enough.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Now that a lot of you have used this sight through this year’s hunting season I would like to hear how you like it now. Did you have any problems in the field (rain, ice, cold, snow ect)? If so how did you resolve them?
I need to get a new bow sight before leagues start… It’s just a local 40yrd indoor 3D league for over the winter months.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi there,
I have a question.. might sound stupid buy what does pendulum sight do?? do it fing the distance to the target and adjust accordingly?
Looking for new sigths so i might just give those a GOOD look.

Mat
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pendulum sights are generally used by treestand hunters to take the "guesswork" out of yardage estimation at distances under 30 yards or so... Traditionally, they needed to be sighted in from the height the shooter would be hunting from, and then the pin would appear to "swing" within the sight guard (there's arguments over whether the pin moves, or if it remains still and the bow revolves around it), allowing the user to simply place that single pin on his target no matter what the distance was -- as long as it was under 30.

When the technology was first invented/released, a 30-yard shot was about the maximum a hunter could even conceivably think about launching an arrow ata live animal -- bow speeds back then were in the neighborhood of 180-200 fps. Those speeds mandated accurate yardage estimation, even at ranges we would term "close" by today's standards. Today's faster bow speeds have largely negated the need for such accurate yardage estimation under 30 yards, and the understanding of proper form when shooting from a tree stand has helped considerably.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Do you think, in time, that the flaws in this site wil be fixed? Will they start making "improved" models? I would like to get one but I would rather wait to see if they change anything about it.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea what Summit's plans are for the Hot Dot and future models, butI could only assume that something so successful out of the box would be kept in the lineup, and even further fine-tuned as they are with most manufacturers.

If it is, as I would surmise, I look forward to seeing a new model with some of the feedback incorporated along with advancements and/or new features!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Is it a must that you sight it at 30 yards for the pendulum to work properly or can I sight it at 20 yards instead. Most of my kills are between 15 and 20 yards. So if I was able to set it at 20 yards, I would be able to hit target from 1-20 yards from an elevated positiong, right? I don't have the greatest eye sight so anything over 30 yards is a stretch for me.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure if sighting it in at a lesser yardage would work, but I do know that if you sight it in at 30 per the instructions, it will be good at those ranges you mentioned. If you look at the two shots I took in my original post, they were from distances of 28 and 20 yards, respectively -- and both were dead on.

Also, by sighting in at the 30-yard mark as suggested by Summit, you're good at the ranges you mentioned -- like I said above -- but also, if you just happen to have a monster creep out past 20 yards and you want to drill him, you'll be able to do that as well.

Quick Reply: Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.