Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

bow make over

Old 04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default bow make over

ok...the time is approaching...getting ready to regear my Highlander with good gear and make it a good hunting rig...ill be back to work here in about 2 weeks and by the end of june i figure ill be shoppin and buyin everything at once... got my string and arrows picked out...got my stabilizer already...got my quiver...

but i want new sights and rest. i have an pretty bad astigmatism and FOs seem to blur...so i was thinking of a Vital Bow Gear Star Treck. probably a verticle pin...id like a .019 if i could find one...i dont know that they make them though...

for the rest...im thinking of a QAD lock down model..drop away full containment rest...but ive heard mixed things about it...some guys love them...some hate them...

also peeps..i am absolutely sick of my Shurz A peep. shur does create a major problem when it twists and theres a big strand of string in your eye!! and i dont want no rubber tubing....that leaves me with a "true peep" or a "meta peep" dont know what ones better...

any help?? advice? pros? cons??

this is a pure hunting rig. i shot ALOT of backyard targets...(more than most hunters) and may even shoot a little 3D this summer but nothin serious...i need equiptment that will stand upto hunting...i dont abuse my gear...but i USE it. shoot ALOT and hunt ALOT.

i know i know put a bisquit on my hunting bow...i dont want a bisquit. i shoot a nap 1000 now..it works...but i rather have a drop away...and like the QAD LD model..seems like its got good features that would make for a good solid accurate hunting rest...and my new arrows are going to be 10-12GPI..my bows already slow...if id be one of the unlucky and loose any FPS with a WB id be upset ..(dont turn this into a WB war...that wont help me...)

thanx
Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Default RE: bow make over

I've got the qad rest and love it I've had no problems at all with it. Peep sight is a draw unless your concerned with speed, I like the meta peep but don't know that its makes that muck dif. As far has sights go cant help you cause I don't use a single pin.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good set of strings like Gibbletts/Bucknasty will solve issues with the peep. Another item you really should buy is front mount STS, it will drastically change the feel of your bow. As for sights I would recommend a Viper.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

terry, my string will be from gibblet. i just hate the shurz a peep period. i got bad eyes...contacts dont cure astigmatism completely and i dont wear glasses[8D] that string in my face just dont cut it...regaurdless of what position they are in i dont like it...i rather have a meta peep or tru peep...nothing in my eye..just a peep to look through clearly..

and thats why i want a single pin sight. ive never heard a bad thing about the star track. looks like an awesome sight..just making sure before i go shopping...

and unsure about what rest i want...thats the main thing.

i also hear mixed results about the sts. i put a doinker on the highlander and it killed shock and jump period. sits dead still in my hand...i really dont think an sts will help much..still havent decided on that...but doubt it...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have bad astigmatism and use a G5 Magnesium peep 1/4". Single pin sights are excellent for most hunting. I have an Impact Cosmic that I put on for bear hunting ( nothing is brighter ) but use a 3 pin cobra Sidewinder the rest of the year. STS have now perfected another side mount for your riser and regardless of what you think your stabilizer does you should get one. Its no coincidence that the top line Hoyts & Ross now come from the factory with these devices. As for rests, for hunting you will never convince me to go back to a drop away. Been there done that and realized that the wisker bisquit is the best for me. Tune it once and never worry about it again, but that will just start another battle here so go with what you prefer.