Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 I need a new bow. Is the Mathews or Hoyt better than the Bear? >

I need a new bow. Is the Mathews or Hoyt better than the Bear?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

I need a new bow. Is the Mathews or Hoyt better than the Bear?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 AM

Default I need a new bow. Is the Mathews or Hoyt better than the Bear?

Im looking to get a new bow soon and I was wondering what you guys have to say? Money is not to big of an issue. But, if the Bear performs like a Mathews than im not going to waste my money.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a new bow. Is the Mathews or Hoyt better than the Bear?

I'll be the first to say it....Go shoot them all and then you decide. The Bear bows are pretty darn good this year.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Mike said all that needs said. Go shoot em and see. I thinkthe new bears a good deal for the money. Performance wise they will all do the job, just see which one fits your hand best and is most comfortable....that is the one to buy.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Does the Bear have any quality problems? Will I be able to keep that bow for several years?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Like the rest of the guys said, go shoot them all, get what fits you the best and don't buy into the hype of any one brand. To answer your question. Fred Bear doesn't have any quality problems.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have really liked Matthews and have always been put off by the cost - they do have a lower cost model to compete with the other brands. Having said that - I have just bought a Bear Obsession for my 2nd boy and man it shoots real nice - fast, quite and seems to be easy to tune.

I also like Bowtech - this is a bow that is also worth looking at before swiping that card.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does a Mathews shoot faster? Probably. Will it outlast a Bear? Not likely. Will the Mathews be smoother? Probably. Will the Mathews retain its value better? BIG TIME !! Shoot them both and decide for yourself if its worth the extra money. Don't buy one because its a more popular brand. They will both kill deer as well as you can shoot, no better no worse. Bear gets excellent reviews and is considered a bargain. Mathews can put out just about anything and people will line up to buy them.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 PM

I just found a mathews switchback xt for sale locally at $550 with all this

Im selling my Switchback XT. It comes with 30" Draw cam, alpine archery soft loc quiver, Specialty Archery quick detach quiver, 10 Carbon Express Maxima arrows, Some PSE radial XWeaves I had pre carbon X-Press, 6 shuttle T-LOC broadheads, Mathews Drop away arrow rest, vital bow gear single pin site.This setup has only been shot around 150 times. Im asking $550 for everything I am willing to ship and this outfit is in new condition. Over $1300 invested This thing is shooting 290's.

If i buy this bow what parts of the bow should i look at to make sure there is nothing wrong with it?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cbauga

I just found a mathews switchback xt for sale locally at $550 with all this

Im selling my Switchback XT. It comes with 30" Draw cam, alpine archery soft loc quiver, Specialty Archery quick detach quiver, 10 Carbon Express Maxima arrows, Some PSE radial XWeaves I had pre carbon X-Press, 6 shuttle T-LOC broadheads, Mathews Drop away arrow rest, vital bow gear single pin site.This setup has only been shot around 150 times. Im asking $550 for everything I am willing to ship and this outfit is in new condition. Over $1300 invested This thing is shooting 290's.

If i buy this bow what parts of the bow should i look at to make sure there is nothing wrong with it?
That is probably a heck of a deal. I might be a little leary with the price being so low, but you can't tell unless you look. As far as what to look at, I know nothing about them, so I couldn't help you.

As to your questions about Bear bows, they look and feel nice in hand. I looked at a few at a local shop, and they seem pretty nice. I like the lightweight, parallel limb designs of the ones I looked at. Not nearly as fast as some of the higher dollar bows, but you don't hear many problems with any of their products.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, about what everyone else is saying, just go shoot a few different one's. I am sure if set up right, the difference betweena Bear vs. Mathews or another "top line" bow would be minimal. BUT....in 4-5+ years, a Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt will resale ALOT more than a bear. But if you say money isn't an issue, than maybe that's not a factor either. That deal you found sounds sweet considering new that bow alone is going for around $640-720 and that Mathews Drop away is 100.00 alone. But I am being bias because I shoot a Mathews with the Drop away and LOVE it. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: I need a new bow. Is the Mathews or Hoyt better than the Bear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.