Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Vital gear drop away rest >

Vital gear drop away rest

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Vital gear drop away rest

Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Vital gear drop away rest

I am new to the site and hunting as well, and I just wanted to get some opinions on the Vital Gear line of drop away rests. I just had the Kaz-away put on yesterday and couldn't be happier with its performance.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Vital gear drop away rest

The kaz-away looks like a great rest. On Cabelas' site theres a comment that said something about the springs in the arms that capture the arrow coming lose or something and causing contact. Hows yours working so far. Isnt the drop away timing adjustable on it?I have read some about it but still dont actually understand everything about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have jsut read thereview from Cabelas, and SCDom from Dallas does seem to have a point that if these tiny springs do fail out in the field it could cause a major prblem, but that goes the same with anything. I am going to take a good look at the springs and see if this could happen more often than not. As far as mine is performing it is still running strong.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had one for two seasons now. There is a very small screw that holds the spring and arrow holder on. It does have the tendency to loosen up over time. If your not careful and it falls out you will have a heck of a time trying to find it on the ground. Over the two years I have had to replace the screw three times. Fortunately it has fallen out while practicing at home. I learned to check it after every twenty shots or so. It it did fall out in the field, it would still be shootable but you would have to be carefull of the arrow falling off before you draw.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Is the rest heavy?

I love the design but I am concerned about putting another 2lbs of machined steel on my bow.

I can't seem to find a good fall/drop away rest that is gravity friendly.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

i've had one for two years know i got mine just after they redisigned them adn i love it. I elk, mulie deer hunted with it all last year and had zero problems. dont waste the money on getting the micro adjust they are awsome for spot and stalk. I dont think that it is heavy it is alittle loud but you put some felt on it and it quits down.if you put a small drop of clear fingernail polish on the screw it will not come loose and i just called the company and had them send me some new springs so i have extra carry them in your pack and some allen keys and yourgood.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

IMO it is not very heavy either and how much quiter does it get after you add the felt?. Also thanks for the tip about the finger nail polish.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Good call on the felt. My buddy pointed the need out to me today. We snuck out of work at lunch so he could check out the new toy and he mentioned that the only noise he heard was the rest dropping down upon release. I just put this rest on my new Drenalin. I'll dab some of the wifes nail polish on the screw tonight to prevent the screw from backing out.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM

A good change from my old WB