HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Choice of Broadheads........ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/171906-choice-broadheads.html)

thesleepergt 12-25-2006 07:10 PM

Choice of Broadheads........

Im replacing my old broadheads that are kinda old(10years), which are the new and great broadheads out there,i seen retractables(i've heard the lose alot of penetration power) or is there and other really relayable one out there?

BowHuntingFool 12-25-2006 10:12 PM

RE: Choice of Broadheads........

Slick Tricks!!!!!!!! There nothing better that I've seen for my set up! They fly just like my Field tips!!!! It took me a few years to switch and now I'm not looking back!

http://www.slicktrick.net/

furgitter 12-26-2006 09:02 AM

I shoot Grim Reapers out of my Alegance and havent missed or lost anything i shoot at.Im going to continue to keep my shots under 45 yds,and not get cocky and spiol my record.I got a red fox at 40 this year!And those blood trails are massive! most deer pile up inside of 30 yds.

stalkingbear 12-26-2006 09:13 AM

I'm gunna try rage because they are #1 cut on impact,#2 rear deploying,#3 large cutting diameter. It seems that in almost all tests,rear deploying blades are (marginally-lots) better penetrating than "fold back" expandables. Just reading tests yall,don't beat me up yet. That said,I have been using rocket aeroheads hammerhead 3L since the supply of anderson 245 mags dried up with excellent results. I'm kinda an equipment geek so I gotta try everything out there. That way I can formulate a educated opinion based on first hand experience.

xi32 12-26-2006 08:23 PM

might want to try spitfires I love them I havent lost a deer yet since using them and they fly awsome

HammytheHunter 12-26-2006 08:49 PM

One word.. Muzzy. Thats all I've used and I've seen what they can do. They fly great and hit extremely hard. You'll get a large variety of answers I'm sure.

Tall Pine 12-26-2006 09:14 PM

I like Snypers. They shave hair out the package!!!

TP

ArrowMike 12-26-2006 10:02 PM

I have had good luck with muzzys. I also like rocket steel heads had good luck with them too. Both are rock solid.

No Mercy 12-26-2006 10:44 PM

Muzzys.

ash2042 12-27-2006 10:51 AM

slick trick

JimboHunter1 12-27-2006 05:01 PM

Another vote for Muzzys. I shoot three blade 100 grains...

Jackson Bowner 12-27-2006 05:50 PM

Ditto on Slick Tricks

outdoorslover 12-27-2006 07:34 PM

Muzzy's or Thunderheads.

Western MA Hunter 12-28-2006 08:24 AM

I am sold on Crimson Talon's now... They are absolutely devastating... The only problem is they don't last very long. Usually 1 broadhead per deer.

Doubled 150 12-28-2006 07:31 PM

The only thing I've ever used is Thunderhead 125. I'm sureall the other brands are great, I've just never tried them.

Don't fix it if it ain'tbroke!

JOE PA 12-28-2006 08:09 PM

Slick Tricks:D

YooperMike 12-29-2006 12:00 AM

Another vote for the slick trick. you won't find a more durable head on the market. Huge hole, great accuracy, and the new blades are scary sharp. Also, they are pretty cheap compared to other heads.

Primitive Weapon 12-29-2006 12:43 PM

RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE

Kelly/KY 12-29-2006 02:40 PM

all mentioned are great, but give G5 Strikers a try. Fly true and are very sharp. Good luck there's so many to choose from it will break you up just looking.

Kelly

passthru79 12-29-2006 02:58 PM

id deffinetly look into g5's either the montec or the striker, both shoot great and penetrate deep.

Lung Blood 12-31-2006 11:24 AM

G5 Montecs are great but I tried Slick Tricks this fall and they are nothing but awesome. Awesome flight, very stout, and super deadly. I shot my buck this year and it looked like a bullet blew thru him.

Broadhead choice is really just matter of personal choice. They will all do the trick if you put them in the right spot. I have like the way the Tricks shoot.

DROCK 12-31-2006 12:27 PM

Slick Tricks;)

HeadHunter66 01-01-2007 11:15 AM

Have to go with the Muzzy's. Tried the Slick Trick's and found them to be adequate but no better than the Muzzy 100 gr I've used for years. Slick trick's were no sharper and the increased angle of the blades, IMO, reduced the penetration.

newguy23 01-01-2007 12:09 PM

Slick Tricks.

Made a bad shot on my doe this year (high shoulder) and it penetrated through the shoulder bone and still punctured the lung. The deer spun around like it was hit with a lead baseball. Flew same as my field points.

alwyshntn 01-01-2007 03:56 PM

This will always be a on going debate but I like expandables and have never lost any game because of the broadhead choice....I have been using the Grim Reaper 100gr. expandables for going on 4 years and have had nothing but great experiences w/ them....

MDBUCKHUNTER 01-03-2007 07:11 PM

Yuck to mechanicals. Nothing bleeds like cut on contact broadheads. Go with a WASP and you won't be sorry.

Primitive Weapon 01-03-2007 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'm gunna try rage because they are #1 cut on impact,#2 rear deploying,#3 large cutting diameter. It seems that in almost all tests,rear deploying blades are (marginally-lots) better penetrating than "fold back" expandables. Just reading tests yall,don't beat me up yet. That said,I have been using rocket aeroheads hammerhead 3L since the supply of anderson 245 mags dried up with excellent results. I'm kinda an equipment geek so I gotta try everything out there. That way I can formulate a educated opinion based on first hand experience.
Ditto. I use the 2-blade Rage. Here's what it did to my doe.

kvD9b4 01-06-2007 05:46 PM

Stalking bear, There are FAR better broadheads than the Rage. They are extremely fragile (one shot broadheads). They are very difficult to assemble with a minimum of9 assembly parts per broadhead (3 blade). It is about impossible to get all 8 parts balanced for accurate shooting.I know they have some great advertising and gimmicks, but they are just that. When they work, they work great......but.

Slick Tricks have worked the best for me. I have killed a truckload of deer with them and a bunch of elk as well. Great broadheads, other than the poor edge on them, which is an easy fix.

I will have my own line of broadheads on the market in the next couple of weeks that addressthe weeknesses of many current broadheads on the market. How does a titanium body with four fixed blades thatcut a1.5" hole through critters sound? Oh, and they also have the accuracy offield points ;) Flinch

archer58 01-06-2007 07:13 PM

Another vote for Slick Tricks but I am interested in what your new head will do . Keep us posted

Primitive Weapon 01-07-2007 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: kvD9b4

Stalking bear, There are FAR better broadheads than the Rage. They are extremely fragile (one shot broadheads). They are very difficult to assemble with a minimum of 9 assembly parts per broadhead (3 blade). It is about impossible to get all 8 parts balanced for accurate shooting. I know they have some great advertising and gimmicks, but they are just that. When they work, they work great......but.

Slick Tricks have worked the best for me. I have killed a truckload of deer with them and a bunch of elk as well. Great broadheads, other than the poor edge on them, which is an easy fix.

I will have my own line of broadheads on the market in the next couple of weeks that address the weeknesses of many current broadheads on the market. How does a titanium body with four fixed blades that cut a 1.5" hole through critters sound? Oh, and they also have the accuracy of field points ;) Flinch
All of the broadheads on the market work and can bring down deer. To say the Rager are "extremely fragile" is just false. I have shot he doe and a coyote with the same rage broadhead and arrow, both complete pass-thru's. (2 blade Rage)

Are the blades on that broadhead dull now, you betcha. Should they be, in my opinion, yes. Not only have they passed thru 2 animals but it has also stuck in the ground twice.

Are the blades bent, absolutely not. They blades slide right back into position.

I can't make an arguement for assembly because I have not taken the 2 blade apart, didn't need to. Was able to clean it after both kills with warm soapy water, an old toothbrush and a toothpick to dig out flesh and hair. Took less than minutes.

As soon as I order new blades, I'll post about assembly and disassembly.

There is nothing about the Rage broadheads that are any more gimmicky than your "titanium body with four fixed blades that cut a 1.5" hole through critters" creation. I would put the 2 blade rage (which as a full 2" cut) up against them any day.

Now I will also say this, are the Rage broadheads the best on the market? Who is to say? That's like saying Hoyt, or Mathews, or PSE, etc makes the best bow on he market. Everyone has their preferences and conforts.

I happen to like huge gaping holes cut by broadheads and the Rage does that. So for me, it is the perfect broadhead and is the best for ME.

kvD9b4 01-10-2007 09:16 PM

Easy there primitive weapon. I Didn't mean to get your hackles up.I am glad they worked for you. Often times they break apart if you hit the shoulder bones or any other serious bone in larger animals.

If you look at my previous post, I was referring to the 3 blad Rage broadheads, not the two blade. I have handled thousands of the three blade Rage broadheadsandthe assembly is a nightmare. AND they are extremely fragile. There is nothing left for strength in the body when the machining is finished. The two blades area MUCH better design. They should have stayed with it, in my opinion. That is all I am saying and I am sorry I offended you. Flinch

Primitive Weapon 01-11-2007 05:59 AM

I'm not offended, at all. What line of work are you in where you can handle "thousands" of Rage broadheads (or any other type for that matter)?

split brows 01-11-2007 10:30 AM

Ive used Rocket Steelheads, Muzzys, and Spitfires, and they all work well if you put em where you aim. Spitfires open up a devastating hole and they fly like fieldpoints. Next year I guess Ill have to try Slick Tricks since most people seem to like em

NYRACKADDICT 01-11-2007 04:14 PM

Muzzy 3 blade , I switched to Montec a few years ago but switch back to good ol muzzys cause there 1/2 the price and just as good. Mechanicals are for the birds- like turkeys!

bonut 01-13-2007 02:28 PM

I like montecs. I've used alot of bh's and most perform good and will penetrate good enough. ( I've only had one that was'nt a complete pass through).
All of the bh's I have bought before needed replacable blades or if they didn't they were kinda difficult to resharpen. Montecs are very easy to resharpen with a flat stone. They seem to be very durable, which is something not always taken into consideration. I have used the same 3 bh's on 5 deer over 2 season's and all pass through's. I think too many poeple get caught up in what bh looks whicked or the latest thing. Simple design that works and works again without having to buy new blades. And seem to fly very well.

kvD9b4 01-15-2007 11:52 AM

I am in the machining and engineering business and starting an archery products company. I get to see and try a lot of broadheads on the market first hand. We all use the same few machinists and blade makers in the industry, so we run into each other's products a lot. There is nothing like dipping your hands into a bin of several thousand freshly machined broadheads.Being an avid archer, there is just something sexy about precise machined parts. Flinch

AR Bowhunter 01-20-2007 03:23 PM

muzzy, muzzy, muzzy, muzzy.

mez 01-20-2007 05:47 PM

Slick Trick 125gr Magnum!!

GForce 01-20-2007 08:51 PM

I have shot dozens of broadheads through the years, allthat I have usedare effective at punching holes thru deer.

I currently use Muzzy 4-blade, 125 grain on the arrows for my compound. 100 grain Rocket SteelHeads on my crossbow shafts. Yet to have either fail.

Vitalshot 01-20-2007 11:04 PM

For years I shot Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. I just switched this year to G5 Montecs. I really like them. They are unmatched in strength because of there 1 piece construction, they shoot well,andare really easy to clean. Expandables usually have great flight characteristics and good penetration as long as you don't whack that shoulder. After reading the posts on this thread I'm gonna try the Slick Tricks.