Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 which target should I buy? >

which target should I buy?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

which target should I buy?

Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default which target should I buy?

I was wondering which portable archery target holds up the best for broadheads?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:00 AM

Default RE: which target should I buy?

From what I have seen from the Block 4 x 4, I'm not really impressed with this target as one of which can stand up to any ole abuse. Broadheads have basically tore this thing to shreads.

In all honesty, the best target for broadheads would be the Morrell Yellow Jacket. Don't expect to shoot field points into this target though. It will stand up to the abuse better than "layered" type targets but field points tend to get super glued into these high density foam targets.

If you are going for store bought, Morrell is the way to go.

Otherwise, you can easily make yourself some targets out of ordinary items like feed sacks stuffed with plenty of plastic grocery bags, old clothes, blankets, etc.

Or, you can stack layers of cardboard flat and secure them with two piece of channel iron and some all thread to tighten the cardboard as it begins to wear out.

And finally, if you can find large pieces of styrofoam, this works well too. Some people use large pieces of styrofoam for docks.

Others might have some input as well.

Bols
Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 AM

The layerd Block targetscant handle broadheads . Period. Ive heard Morrels yellow jackets are awesome . I compressed foam boogie boards together with treaded pipe and 2x6's . Works awesome because you can rotate the material inside as it wears and make the targets any size. I didnt like the cardboard though , was heavy as bricks and really hard to pull arrows out of.
I tried ordering Morrel targets but shipping is $115 , not including target[:@]I'll have to send it through as laugage next trip to mainlandHope there no bowhunters working baggage that day

Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Morrel Yellow Jacket is a GREAT BH target. Do NOT get the block. I had one and it just did not last very long with BH's.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:44 PM

i have to agree with the others, go with the Yellow Jacket. as a dealer of many different targets, i can honestly say that doing our tests on them, the yellow jackets stood up very well. better than some that i thought would hold up to more.

speed

Old 12-12-2006, 12:55 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've not shot one but a buddy has the carbon 6 shooter by Morrell and he really likes it. Says it has held up better than anything he has owned. I don't think you can go wrong with anything that Morrell sells.

Like the others said, stay away from the layered targets like the Block. They hold up ok to field points but broadheads tear them up in a hurry.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the yellow jacket is better also. I had a layered block 4by4 and it only held up when shooting field heads in it. I shot broadheads in it and it did not last long. The yelow jacket is good for broadheads but it is way to hard to get field points out of it. It takes a arrow puller our 2 people to get them out, but it will last the longest I think.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hated the jacket. Use theAmerican whitetailtargets.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

love the jacket and found out that axis FMJ pull out of it real easy with feild point but any other arrowa you will be tired from pulling before shooting
Old 12-12-2006, 07:48 PM

Morrel Yellow Jacket is a GREAT BH target. Do NOT get the block. I had one and it just did not last very long with BH's.
yep

Quick Reply: which target should I buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.