Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt ProVantage Hunter

Old 12-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Hoyt ProVantage Hunter

I just picked up a older Hoyt compound bow - Pro Vantage Hunter. It is 50" long and in good shape. Anyone know anything about these? I got it for $150 with a bunch of accessories and arrows - on consignment at a gunshop. I'm fairly new to archery. Thanks. Roskoe
Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Hoyt ProVantage Hunter

Roskoe;

Well you caught my eye with this post. I had a Pro Vantage, loved it. My dad had one too, and he loved his too. All my friends who shot all manner of target and 3D shoots etc. also had one. I think it's likely the most forgiving bow I ever shot, considering the accessories available at that time. I couldn't imagine that bow with a dropaway like the QAD or a Ripcord. Probably shoot itself with one of those. The only thing I'd watch out for is the limbs. My friend, myself, and my dad all went through a set of limbs. They tended to splinter near the large radius in the "S" curve of the limb. Usually starting as a hairline crack on the outer corner of the limb. As it turns out, it's likely my lower limb was cracked like that, the evening I shot a nice buck the second day of archery season. I wouldn't have drawn the bow if I had noticed the crack.

--cutthroat.trout
Old 12-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Hoyt ProVantage Hunter

Thanks, cutthroat. I call Hoyt last week and they said pretty much the same thing. I'm going to try some of various limbsaver products on the bow and see how they work. But as far as breaking a limb, I guess Hoyt can't/won't fix it any more -although it may be possible to adapt another limb to work. Do you remember how to adjust the pull length? I need to shorten this one a little. THanks. Roskoe