Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

scent lock clothing

Old 10-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Default scent lock clothing

need help getting ready to buy some scent lock clothing does this stuff really work. all replies welcome. thank you
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scent lock clothing

The short answer is "It depends on whom you ask ."

No matter what anyone tells you to the contrary , carbon is not permanent protection and cannot be "reactivated" in your home dryer . It is scientifically impossible . Do a Google search on the subject and judge for yourself , don't just go by what the manufacturer has to say , then decide if you want to risk hundreds of dollars on something that may not work at all .
Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I have heard a lot of negative about Scent Lok and how it can't be recharged etc etc. I have been using it for about 5-6 years with very good results. And I follow the manufacturers advice for washing and recharging. First day I went out this year I had two does downwind of me at 35 yards. They picked up a faint hint of me and were on alert. But it wasn't enough scent to spook them. Instead, after walking away, the dominant doe came back two times to see if she could find me and walked to within 8 yards of me downwind. She ended up leaving on alert but she never spooked. That's all I ask of any scent reduction. You will never eliminate scent, but you can reduce it. And that means full body scrub with non-scented soap and cloths washing and the whole 9 yards. But I have witnessed many dozens of times when deer downwind did not detect me, or the scent was too little to alarm them. Just my field experience and I am sure there are those with equally convincing arguments against.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

i think it helps but it won't make you "invisible" so to say
use the scent free soap and shampoo
use the scent free/ UV briteners free laundry soap
use cover scent on your boots and what ever else you want
try to stay down wind of ambush site
try to stay elevated (the higher up you are the easier the kill, IMHO)
but most of all have fun and enjoy this great tradition bro
Old 10-13-2006, 08:40 PM

I've been using scent-lok since it was first offered. Great results every time I wear it.

It's not magic. You still have to practice strict scent control and proper stand placement.

You just can't get out of work, put it on and expect it to make you "disappear". Just doesn't work like that.

It does work well for me though.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

read for yourself. I was watching dream season and these guys had the full body lock suits plus were spraying everything down and the does still winded them. No way will I spend money on that stuff when I can play the wind + take scent free shower before going out and I take my 5 deer limit every year. Thats just my opinion and how I feel about it. If they want me to field test it for free for a honest opinion I'll do it. But if you still have to do all the scent free steps why pay top dollar for just camo that says scent blocker. Sorry guys but I feel it's a rip off.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

In order to re-activate activated-carbon, it must undergo a process called Pyrolysis. To fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 °C or 1,472 °F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion.

This is scientific fact and is even stated in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Engineering and Design, Adsorption Design Guide, Design Guide No. DG1110-1-2, if you’d like to check it out for yourself. This fact is not however mentioned on any of the popular scent elimination clothing manufacturers’ websites.

One of the most popular scent elimination clothing manufactures instructs consumers to simply place worn garments in a common household clothes dryer for 20 to 30 minutes to re-active the carbon in the garment. The average temperature generated by a clothes dryer does not even come close to being able to generate the extreme temperatures necessary to drive out contaminants absorbed in the many micropores and channels of activated-carbon. In fact, most residential clothes dryers only heat up to a temperature that is well under 200°F.
Since the garment manufacturers have very obviously lied about "recharging" their product then you are forced to wonder what else are they lying about .
Old 10-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ken,

This topic has been beat to death on these forums. lol If you do a search you'll see just what I mean. It's become a big can of worms.

Nobody here can prove to me one way or another. I guess I am still on the fence. I've read the articles posted such as the one Kevin quoted above. I've read the claims by the manufacturers. And I have also discussed it with a couple chemists at the local university where I am employed.

Bottom line is that nobody can conclude one way or another whether the garments work as advertised. The chemists I spoke with agree wholeheartedly that it's just not possible to completely recharge activated carbon in a household dryer. But they did say that a dryer would remove some of the odor molecules. Unfortunately without a thorough scientific test there really is no way to know whether or not the amount being released in a dryer is enough to make the garment effective again. And if it is made effective just how long can you wear the garment before it's full again.

Personally I do own some Scent Lok garments. I follow the manufacturers directions. I also understand that it may not be working as advertised. That is a chance I took when I forked over the $$$.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well try wearing your hunting clothes without washing them for days, only putting them in the dryer after 3 days of hunting. If you can do that without getting busted down wind of many critters not just deer let me know. I can do just that with my scentlok. I haven't washed it once this year and have a great many hours of hunting in and some in warm weather. Nothing to date has winded me, nothing and many have been directly down wind. They are on their 3rd season. No animal has known I was there and I haven't even washed them or sprayed them down. I have been hunting in an area where animals are always on high alert and still not been busted.

Yes deer have fallen.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

The guys on Dream Season were NOT wearing their face masks, and the guy from scent -lok goes on to saythat 35 % of human odor come from you head and face. I wear it and have had great results, like others have said it will not make you dissappear. I have had bucks and does down wind from me and still not detect me.If you practice scent control with soap deoderant and spray and have proper stand location you should be fine.

Quick Reply: scent lock clothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.