Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit climber tips...

Old 09-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Summit climber tips...

Do you have any special tips or words of advice for your Summit/or otherclimber?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summit climber tips...

I use a Summit and love it. I wouldn't switch to a dfferent one after using mine and seeing what else is out there. As far as tips, I would say just get out and practice a bunch so you are familiar with t when it comes time to hunt with it. Anything specifically you are looking for?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't used my ViperX5 yet. I feel I'll be fine and can't wait. I'm retiring my 10 year old API Grandslam. I just put on the side bags which I love. They hold quite a few items!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Viper myself and like itmore than the other half dozen or so climbers I've had. The best advice I can give anybody is to use a full body harness at all times with it. Dead or crippled hunters don't use climbing stands very well. Take your time climbing up and down; making noise to get up a tree quickly is not good hunting.

The only other thing I'd say is that I had to grind down and rounded the teeth of the foot portion about 1/8" because it bit too deply into some of the Tulip and Poplar trees I climb. First time I used it I had a hard time just getting it loose to come down.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Please use a harness, at all times. Not just when hunting. I did not think a harness was necessary one time, because I was not hunting, I was just going to move my stand, a ladder Stand at that. I fell 17 feet to the ground when the ladder shifted. I lived to tell about it but it hurt like HEl*. And I do not know if it was part or all of the cause, but Last Thursday I had Neck/spine surgey, on three vertebrae and 2 discs. NUF SAID! I will never be that stupid again.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

BGfishersaid it right take your time always use a full body harness and do you understand to have the strap tight with the plate forms angled up at the base of the tree so the straighten out as you climb