Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broad head help

Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 AM

Default broad head help

trying to deside what broadhead to shoot i've looked at the montec, tekanII, nap crossfires, spitfires. shot hammerheads for the past 4or5 years looking for something a little tougher for blackbear and whitetail in pa
Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broad head help

Well, for bear and Pa. whitetails they are all OK. In fact almost any head will do, even mechanicals if you're pushing enough energy to make them work. Deer ain't big critters. It doesn't take much to blow through them.

My choice would be the Crossfire though. I'm not a fan of mechanicals yet. Another good head to consider is InnerLoc.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum! I've never shot a bear but i've shot lots of whitetails andThunderheads have always performed well for me. I've been using them for 16yrs and i have no complaints. If i didn't shoot Thunderheads i'd probably be shooting Muzzy's. I think either one would serve you well.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM

If you prefer a COC cut on contact bh, look closely at the Razorcaps. I've been hunting with them for the past 3 seasons. They fly great, easy to sharpen, and have the interchangeable ferruels allowing you to change your mass weight from 100gr. - 200gr. in 25 gr. increments.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought some Slick Trick 100 gr. 4 blades. When I first shot them I had 2 arrows veer to the left and thought yet again I had been had. I picked them up tightened the broad heads and they have been flying like field points ever since.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/index.html
Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Click on the post with the G5 review by 5shot. Scroll to the bottom of the page and read the review for the magnus snuffer SS. A few of the broad heads that you mentioned were mechanicals. These heads will shoot the same and have the benefits of fixed blades. The best of both worlds.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

if you like mech. heads try the steelhead from rocket i shot 3 deer with one head a few years ago. i just replace the blades every year and still have the same ones i bought when they came out. if you want something real tough try the ultimate steel or just buy cabelas version and save $15. fly great and out of my wifes bow (45lbs-240fps)went through a shoulder blade and out the other side. id use them but ill never switch from a mech head.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I took a bear this season with Slick Trick's ,they're tough as nail's, and I broke a rib going in and broke another coming out and completely passed through the shoulder .The broadhead was fine and can definately be used again .Now that's one tough head .

Look no further SLICK TRICK'S

nubo
Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 AM

nubo...were you using the standards or magnum ST's? I'm not too familiar with a bears anatomy, but how did you manage to break a rib going in - break a rib goind out - and - pass through a shoulder?

Quick Reply: broad head help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.