Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut? >

Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

If the choice is the Stinger, 2-Blade or 4-Blade for whitetails?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

i've been using the magnus stinger w/ the bleeder blades and it has performed like no other broadhead that i've every used and really the only problem i have every had was a jak-hammer not opening once... these things are the sharpest damn blade on the market and they fly like a field tip. the other brands are good, the magnus stinger is great!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 PM

4 blade, for sure. The more cut the better. Check your local laws before deciding on the Buzzcut. Some states don't allow serrated blades. Aside from that, flip a coin.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll get a longer blood trail with a straight blade than you will with a serrated one.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

A serrated blade will cause more tissue damage creating rapid blood loss and hinders blood clotting. Good clean, quick kills.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually,a serrated blade won't cause more tissue damage. It cuts through the same amount of tissue as a straight blade on the same path. However, it does leave ragged edges on the tissue it does go through. Since clotting has to start by attaching to a surface. The more surface area you have, the more opportunity to start clotting on the same size cut. A razor cut bleeds a long time, because it leaves relatively little surface toanchor clotting.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Actually,a serrated blade won't cause more tissue damage. It cuts through the same amount of tissue as a straight blade on the same path. However, it does leave ragged edges on the tissue it does go through. Since clotting has to start by attaching to a surface. The more surface area you have, the more opportunity to start clotting on the same size cut. A razor cut bleeds a long time, because it leaves relatively little surface toanchor clotting.
Absolutely correct!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

According to both Magnus and Steel Force website, a serrated edge will cause more tissue damage and cause heavier blood loss. Maybe they are wrong? Personally I have been cut by both and it "seems" the serrated edge bleed more and did not clot as fast. Although I have never been cut by both at the same time. I have been and could be wrong.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

I doubt they would say otherwise since they want to sell as many as possible. Having been a paramedic in my former life, I saw a lot of farm injuries here in the midwest. I was always amazed at how little blood was lost when a limb was ripped from someone by a live PTO shaft or a person was cut by a chainsaw, etc. in comparison to someone being cut by a knife, glass, or something similar. I asked the emergency room doctor about this one day and he explained it as Wingbone described. He also said that major vessels and vains constrict to slow blood flow when traumatized, much like when they are ripped. Slicing does not have that same effect.

Serrated blades are snake oil, plain and simple. They are certainly no better than a sharp plain edge, plus they are far harder to sharpen.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 PM

This is all mostly correct. Serrated edges cause more tissue damage, but not in a bad way. They cause more tissue damage because the serrationscut more surface area.

That sounds confusing.....Let's try this. Take a straight blade stinger, and a Buzzcut. If you would measure the blade length of the Buzzcut, it would actually be longer than the Stinger. There is more cutting edge on a Buzzcut, or any other serrated blade. Negative tissue damage is caused by a dull blade. It tears instead of cuts. This isn't the same animal. A sharp Buzzer will indeed cause massive blood loss because it cuts more area.

Quick Reply: Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.