Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut? >

Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Hmmmm.... I shoot both. This year I am going with Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts, just 'cause they look "EVIL"

But if I don't get a decent blood trail, I can just switch back to the standard Stingers, which are also just as devastating and fly like darts, right with my field tips.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

This is all mostly correct. Serrated edges cause more tissue damage, but not in a bad way. They cause more tissue damage because the serrationscut more surface area.

That sounds confusing.....Let's try this. Take a straight blade stinger, and a Buzzcut. If you would measure the blade length of the Buzzcut, it would actually be longer than the Stinger. There is more cutting edge on a Buzzcut, or any other serrated blade. Negative tissue damage is caused by a dull blade. It tears instead of cuts. This isn't the same animal. A sharp Buzzer will indeed cause massive blood loss because it cuts more area.
Sigh....[&o] I've come to realize, and have seen, that logical and medical explanations are futile in this argument because of just what ButchA points out - they look "evil". That's why people buy and believe what they will...
Old 08-20-2006, 10:58 AM

Im just curious here...
I can understand that a jagged hole might clot quicker, but in the five seconds between impact and death, how much does it matter?
Im just curious...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Snood, you're exactly, 100% correct in your medical reasoning. I am an EMT, so I understand what you are saying. Again, you are absolutely right. But the difference here is that the sharpness of the blade is the same. Rapid clotting is caused by tearing of the arteries and tissue, not the cutting of it. A serrated blade, like the Buzzcut, will bleed more because it cuts more area. It doesn't tear it, it cuts equally as clean as it's straight edge cousin.

The torn tissue has more of a jagged edge for the globulin to grab hold of, causing much more rapid clotting. But the Buzzer isn't tearing, it's making a very clean cut, provided it is sharp.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Even a plain edge is not smooth when looked at under a microscope, it is actually a multitude of small, microcopic serrations like a saw. Thus, the smaller the serration, the cleaner the cut. No matter how sharp a blade with visible serrations the size that are available in today's broadheads, they will not cleanly cut due to the angle at which each serration cuts at. That trauma is what creates the tearing and subsequent hemostasis through vessel constriction. I'm not saying it won't kill game, all I am saying is that bleeding is better with a cleaner cut. Some other things to also be concerned with on serrated blades are the increased chances of infection and future mortallity on poorly hit game with relation to hits that would otherwise heal. Serrated blades create wounds that are gapping and normally require suturing to close, thus allowing more chance for bacteria to invade. The other is decreased penetration due to each serration "clogging". Serrated blades, such as those on knives, have to move back and forth like a saw in order to "clean" themselves out for each impending cut. As far as I know, a properly placed broadhead is intended to move only forward.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:12 PM

You bring to light several good points, both of which I've not considered. I've not seen cuts through a microscope, so I can't speak intelligently on that. I'm still not sure I buy it 100%, but you make a valid point that requires consideration.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM

Snood is right on all counts. Any medical school in the country will tell you the same thing. But Snood has his work cut out for him against the companiesadvertising serrated blades.

As was said, they LOOK evil. But as med schools will confirm, the straight blade is the most lethal since bleeding will continue longer before clotting.

As far as the serrated cutting more, shoot an animal or target with a serrated and a straight edge side by side, and get out your ruler. No difference whatsoever. So why the fascination? They LOOK evil.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:38 PM

P.S. You have a vessel in the way of a blade and it will be sliced in two by either a straight or serrated edge. No voodoo by the serrated, no extra cutting of more vessels.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

stinger no other compition

Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet those serrated edges are tough to sharpen yourself.

Quick Reply: Magnus Stinger or BuzzCut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.