Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowtech Defender

Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Bowtech Defender

Traded one of my rifles today for a new 2005 BowTech Defender!
Really nice bow, though the dealer and myself made a mistake, I didnt have a site with me and i quess he didnt think about it but he tuned it with out a site and when I got home a installed a site, it shot farther to the left than I had right hand adjustment. He used the spacer for the bisquit and I think it needs to go on without it right up next to the riser.
I tinkered with it after I got home and got it where i could shoot it but its not right I can see the arrow fishtailing a little so Ive got to drive 40 miles back to get it retuned (bummer) I like the way it draws and its really quiet.
It draws a lot differently from my ViperTech,but I like it.
I just got to thinking that I have plenty of rifles to back me up should something happen to one during season, but if something should happen to my bow I would be up a creek without a paddle. I will post a picture when I get some batteries for my camera, I cant seem to keep batteries.
any way just venting a little after a day bow shopping.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

Default RE: Bowtech Defender

ORIGINAL: Squirreldog

Traded one of my rifles today for a new 2005 BowTech Defender!
Really nice bow, though the dealer and myself made a mistake, I didnt have a site with me and i quess he didnt think about it but he tuned it with out a site and when I got home a installed a site, it shot farther to the left than I had right hand adjustment. He used the spacer for the bisquit and I think it needs to go on without it right up next to the riser.
I tinkered with it after I got home and got it where i could shoot it but its not right I can see the arrow fishtailing a little so Ive got to drive 40 miles back to get it retuned (bummer) I like the way it draws and its really quiet.
It draws a lot differently from my ViperTech,but I like it.
I just got to thinking that I have plenty of rifles to back me up should something happen to one during season, but if something should happen to my bow I would be up a creek without a paddle. I will post a picture when I get some batteries for my camera, I cant seem to keep batteries.
any way just venting a little after a day bow shopping.
We must be drinking the same water;I too have a gun safe full of guns but only had one compound and a recurve till I bought a new Bowtech Tribute a couple of weeks ago. HCH
Old 07-13-2006, 08:14 PM

Yea, Ive beenreading your post ,I knew you had got yourself a tribute to go with you trykon and acutally thats what got me to thinking bowtech, I like it. Which draw cycle do you like best? I cant tell you that I like either the best there is a lot of difference.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:04 AM

Squirreldog, I had a heck of a time finding a rest to work on my Defender. There are two things working against us Defender owners.

1) The riser is thicker
2) The riser is offset farther to the right.(Assuming it is a RH bow)
Combine these two things and your rest is sitting too far to the right.

Many rests out there do not have enough left adjustment but I am confused by your post that says you didn't have enough RIGHT adjustment. The you said you shouldn't use the spacer which would move the WB to the left.

So anyway, get a rest on there and paper tune it. You will probably get a tear with the nock left. If you are going to get a new rest, look into the QAD Ultra. I use it on my Defender and am very pleased with it. They come with a spacer and you can move the prongs farther left on the shaft which will give you plenty of adjustment. Add total containment and no fletching contact and you got a dynamite combo. Also, look at my post in another thread about sight adjustment.

Once you get that thing tuned in, you will love it!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanksi just got back from the shop and what i found out is basically what you are saying, he paper tuned it back again and then called toxonics and found out that they make a special bar for bowtech that allows for more sight adjustment!
He called it a large window which I think is right above the shelf if i understood him right. by the way toxonics is sending the new bar and he says he will take care of the cost of that .
I already love the bow, I love my hoyt too but the bowtecn right now is super quiet and darn it I am just not good a waiting for something to come in the mail. but i quess i will have to wait.
If you can can you post me a link to your other thread about the sighting in that you have done, I dont know if im using the search feature right but i cant make heads or tail of the results that i get from it.
AND I WILL MOST DEFINATLY check out the mentioned rest, I would love to try something besides the bisquit but im not that comfortable with one that the arrow will fall off of, Im 46 yrs. young and only in my third year of bow hunting and if old hartford were to walk out and my arrow fell off (well that might drive me to drinking or something) and i dont drink if you know what i mean,
thanks for the info
squirreldog
Old 07-14-2006, 01:44 PM

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1600465&mpage=1&key=��

There ya go.

I found that my anchor point was the biggest offender to that problem. I raised it a little and eveything is fine now.