Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Leupold RX-2 range finder????? >

Leupold RX-2 range finder?????

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Leupold RX-2 range finder?????

Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Leupold RX-2 range finder?????

I am currently in the market for a new range finder and was wondering if anyone has used or tested the Leupold RX-2. It seems to have some great features (maybe too many) and I am interested in getting one. I would appreciated any info on the Leupold or any other range finder that you have found to work great. I have used a Nikon for years and like it alot, but it is about history. Thanks!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Leupold RX-2 range finder?????

i bought one without doing some research and after taking a look at it i realized it was too complicated for me...now i'm in the market for something less expensive and easier to use
Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love mine. I haven't got the full experience from a treestand, but from elevated shooting (downhill to my target) it seems to be dead on from a level place at the same distance. If in the market, I recommend them.

Kelly
Old 07-05-2006, 11:18 PM

I checked them out at Cabelas and Sportmans wharehouse, and none of the employees could figure out how to use it! and then they showed me the manual.... if you like to read, then go for it!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Doesn't seem like it would be very worthwile for bowhunting unless you get some really extreme angles.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am also thinking about trying this rangefinder out for myself. I've read some decent feedback on other forums and then generally there is a person or two that claim they just can't ( or don't want to) figure the thing out??? I suspect that some folks just don't want to sit down and take the time to read an owners manual. I mean, seriously, if I guy has the skills to operate a modern cell phone you should be good to go with this 2 button RF???
Old 07-12-2006, 02:29 PM

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it but here's how i figure it:

Using the Pythagorean theorum a2 x b2 = c2 (who said we'd never use this stuff from school again) I figure that if you're 21 feet up a tree on level ground and your rangefinder reads 30.0 yards the actual distance to the target is 29.2 yards. Unless you've got one heck of a precise hunting sight that .8 yard difference won't matter.

Let's try a more extreme example, say you are 25 feet up a tree and that tree is on a slopeso your target is actually 40 feet below you vertically. That's a pretty steep angle. You range the animal at 30.0 yards. The actual horizontal distance is26.9 yards. Is the difference of 3.1 yards going to affect your aiming point? Maybe slightly.

I just don't see a big advantage for archery shooters, not when there are other rangefinders out there that are easier to use and as good or better. Rifle hunters may find it more useful, especially hunting in the mountains where verticle angles are much more pronounced.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the RX-I after comparing it with the RX-II at Cabelas.

Here are the differences:
RX-I $250
RX-II $300 (both +$20 for Mossy Oak)

Both have 6X Magnification
Both have all the same features except:
RX II has an Inclinometer, TBR (True Ballistic Range), Rain Mode, 1st and Last Target Modes,.....everything else identical.

I compared them and realized I didn't need the RX-II's extra features....just wanted a good rangefinder.The RX-Ifits my needs.

The RX-III and RX IV are 8X, longer warranty, almost twice as heavy. They have a couple more frills, nothing I need. ($400 & $480)
Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 PM

I have also been looking at the leupold rangefinders. They are an excellent unit, that for sure, but they do seem to have too many bells and whistles for me. When I am looking at an animal I want to push a button and get a yardage. The TBR feature is awesome but you would have to have an extreme slope and a long range to make a difference. Iborrowed one out to try and was ranging some rocks on a very verysteep hill at 430 yds normal, TBR rangewas 407. only 23 yard difference and it was one hell of a steep shot. I decided that a 27 yard variance at over 400 yards would not make a big enough difference on my point of aim to matter. I also tried it at shorter distances for archery and most the time on as steep as a shot asI could take the shot,at 50-60 yards the TBR was only 1-2 yards difference. Again not enough of a change for me to justify the extra $$$ and complication. For a serious long range shooter for varmints or competition it may be nice but for hunting, I dont think so.

I was told a story by the sales guy at the store that a customer purchased one for a archery boar hunt and while hunting it accidentally got set to the 150 yard or greater setting and when he saw a pig he could not get a reading because it was at about 50 yards.

Who knows if the story was true, but in the past I have purchaseditems that were just a little too complicated. I went back to the "keep it simple" way of thinking. I ended up getting a great deal on a Bushnell Elite. It is a little big, but man it seemed to range anything and it is "simple"

Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Copied from my recent post in the hunting gear review section.

"I looked hard at the Leopold, but instead bought a Nikon 600 on Ebay for $193 after shipping. It was used, but in perfect condition, in original box. The Leopold was hard for me to read. Much of the info is around the outer edge and is very difficult to read.

The Nikon is very clear and straight forward. I just got back from a family vacation and saw a lot of animals. The farthest I ranged was an antelope at 368 yards. Didn't try any animals farther than that. Also, there is no rain function on the Nikon, but I tried it in a downpour and it worked just fine.

Bottom line, it is very compact, simple, easy to read and the optics are great. "

Last night I looked at several other reviews of the Leopolds and many are not positive. To me, the Nikon is much simpler, much easier to read the distance. I think the incline compensator jobby really isn't going to buy 99% of us anything. But, that is only me. My recommendation. Look at them all as much as possible before you buy. After I did, it was clear which one I wanted.

Quick Reply: Leupold RX-2 range finder?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.