Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bow for a noob

Old 05-27-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Bow for a noob

well i've been whitetail gun hunting for the past 6 years. and I am sick of hunting post-rut and only in that 9 day season. I like the openness and the buck availability that comes with bow hunting. So, i am looking into getting a bow to start a new hobby!
However, since I am just getting into it, and basically testing it out, I don't want a 1,000 dollar fancy bow. I'm looking for a bow in the $500 dollar range that will still last me years and years, shoot straight and fast. I do not care about having a brand name, or looks (as long as it isnt all shiny and reflective). I just want a good reliable bow that will take down a big buck.

And for my dimensions, I am 6'4, 250lbs. So i'm thinkin i'd need a 30-31" draw, with probably a 60-70 lb. draw. (i'm not sure though, again, I have only shot 1 bow in my entire life, and that was during hunter safety (i did get my bow safety liscense as well )) Oh, I'm also looking for a compound bow.

I know its all about fit, and I assure you I will test some out. I just want some recomendations so I can tell the retailer what I would like to test out.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Bow for a noob

Break open the popcorn fellers.......Here we go!

Just about EVERY bow company out there right now makes decent equipment. Now, that's not to say there aren't a few "lemons" in the glass, but generally speaking, this is true.

So, first thing's first. You gotta educate yourself. There are several magazines on newstands right now that are all about showing off new equipment for '06. Check them out, check out websites, anything. Then decide on a price range and stick to it. The sky's the limit here, buddy. You could spend as much as you want. If you force me to specifically pick some, ok, I will.

Hoyt- UltraTec, Trykon, Vtec, shoot, just about any of them, but these would be my top 3.

Bowtech- Allegiance or the Tribute. I'm not as versed in these as I am Hoyt, but Greg/ MO and DaveC are pretty knowledgeable about them.

M....Ma.....Mat.........man, I can't even say it......

Reflex- Highlander (ButchA just bought one and he LOVES it!!) SuperSlam, or the Buckskin. Very nice indeed.

A new company that I would take a SERIOUS look at is Ross. These babies are nice! Very quiet, no shock at all, and pretty smooth. They make 4, I think....the CR331, CR332, CR334, and CR336. Forgive me, I may not have that exactly right, but it all pertains to ATA length. Also very nice indeed.

Being a new archer, you're going to want forgiving. Look for a longer ATA (especially w/ your longer draw length) and longer brace height. The longer brace height will most likely result in a slightly slower bow, but it's more forgiving. Get out to the shop and check them out!! It's what this is all about!! Hope this has helped at least a little bit.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:43 PM

okay, as of right now i need a 30.8 inch draw, as i did the little test where you measure your wingspan and divide by 2. So ill need a bow that can handle a 31 inch draw, which eliminates most of those options it appears. So my main 2 choices now are the browning Oasis and the Hoyt Powertech. And views on which one is superior? did i mention that the oasis comes with 12 free arrows?

I like the looks of the powertech, but i like the speed of the browning. The ATA is also at 37 on the browning, and i believe 33 for the powertech. The speed on the browning is 310, where on the powertech it is 302. Tough decisions.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr
Reflex- Highlander (ButchA just bought one and he LOVES it!!)
LOL!!! That's right... Best bang for the buck of any bow I know of so far! [8D]

pdoughertyMU, click on this link. It will answer all your questions about bows, and which is which and what would be a good one to buy.

http://www.huntersfriend.com

As for everyone else, here's some popcorn!
Old 05-27-2006, 08:38 PM

I really like the looks and specs on that one too, i just need the 31 inch draw, which the highlander does not provide. Any comments on the Browning vs. The Hoyt?

This is actually the list that I am looking to get, Included is the price, then the draw length possible, and the speed

Hoyt power tech $499, 31.5 inch draw, 302 speed
PSE TYPHOON 359 31 inch draw 303
Diamond Rapture 399 31 inch 308
Browning oasis 499 31 inch 310

Old 05-27-2006, 08:53 PM

as i did the little test where you measure your wingspan and divide by 2.
your supposed to take your wingspan and divide by 2.5 not 2
Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 PM

thats what i did, my bad, it was a typo.

Im 6'4, and my wingspan was 77 inches.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:43 PM

The Trykon and UltraTec can be ordered in DL's up to 32".I can't say about the others, I just don't know enough about them. Oh, Ross can be as well. The Trykon is a non adjustable DL, you order the correct one and that's it. The UltraTec is adjustable by 2 1/2" I believe. We'll find one that fits you. A friend of mine at the shop bought a Trykon XL w/ a 32", and he's blazing away at over 330fps! Holy Moly!!!

Just saw your edit including the set ups you are looking at. All very nice.That PowerTec is a darn good shooter, as is the Rapture.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would also give a look at AR but the Oasis is a good bow from an even better company i have the browning F5
Old 05-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

With an over 30" Draw length you really don't need to split hairs over a few FPS of one model vs another. You will have all the horsepower you need to take down moose if you want. If I had that wingspan I would look at a longer ATA ( 35-37" ) 300 fps class bow for its shootability.
I was looking at a Hoyt Powertec in a shop this spring and was impressed with it. Same cams and limbs as the much more expensive Vtec, it should be a great bow and its a steal. Realize though that what they look like on paper might not be what you prefer when you actually test shoot them. I would look at Reflex, Diamond or PSE if on a tighter budget.

Quick Reply: Bow for a noob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.