Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Sure loc Lethal weapon 1 or Spot Hogg Hunter ? >

Sure loc Lethal weapon 1 or Spot Hogg Hunter ?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Sure loc Lethal weapon 1 or Spot Hogg Hunter ?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Sure loc Lethal weapon 1 or Spot Hogg Hunter ?

I am trying to decide on which site I should go with from these two. Any suggestions ? I will be using it for hunting and a little 3D. The bow will be a Mathews Switchback LD.

Thanks,
DetLieut
Old 04-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sure loc Lethal weapon 1 or Spot Hogg Hunter ?

I think they're both great sight's ,because I have both of them,but i prefer the Spott Hogg only because I can mount my quiver off of it .
I'd just flip a coin.

nubo
Old 04-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

nubo, Sure Loc makes a bracket that allows a quiver to be attached. I got one from Lancaster Archery.

DetLieut, the Sure Loc was my favorite sight (when I used to use sights), it allows for the entire string of pins to be loved left/right/up/down ALONG with each individual pins having the capability to be moved right/left/up/down. This is great if someone likes to slightly cant their bow. I also found the fiber optics to be just the right size and brightness. You can also buy additional brackets to get the sites way out there (good for 3d).
Old 04-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used both so have some opinions. Of the two I would prefer the Spott Hogg for hunting simply because I consider the Lethal Weapon a bit fragile where pin protection is concerned. Don't get me wrong. I love the sight, and it's micro-adjustability. One of the best you can get for fine adjustments. So I consider it better for 3D.

Because the guard on the Spott Hogg is narrow I don't even consider this adequate protection for the pin on a hunting bow. It is better than the Lethal Weapon though. I do have a Hogg-It on my 3D bow and it is good for this.
I see a lot of guys like the micro-adjust on the Hogg-It but I don't hink it's all that great. You adjust it by loosening one set-screw and tightening another (just for pin settings). Well, this ain't like going "click-click" like the Lethal Weapon or a target sight. It's kinda hit or miss for setting pins. It works and mine is paid for so I'll live with it. And I know what I'm doing.

For my hunting bow I chose a more rugged sight. IMO. I have the HHA OL-5000. It's a wrapped fiber so it's brighter than the other two (no light needed). If you take a look at one and compare the pin guard you'll notice that the pin is recessed farther into the guard and the guard is so heavily made you could drive a truck over it.
This is a slider sight and makes a pretty good one for 3D also. For hunting I set it for 25 yards and leave it. I do not adjust it for anything inside 30 yards. It's a "put it in the middle of the chest and shoot" sight for anything out to 30 yards. I'm not interested in that last 1" of accuracy. I'm not puching spots.
For 3D you can move it all you want and have a nice clean sight picture. No pin clutter.

OK, this is just my ideas based on actual useage.