Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadheads.........?

Old 03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadheads.........?

slicktricks
Old 03-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Go to G5's web site and they have video of how to sharpen Montecs that differs from the instructions that come with the stone. I watched the video then tried it and my heads were razor sharp. I have shot three deer with the same head and it just keeps on preformimg awesome!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 PM

Get your hands on ABC Sonics....I have switched to them, and will continue to use favor them over all the others for any future bowhunting.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

WACEM BROADHEADS, cut on contact head with replaceable blades
and continuous cutting angle, 1-1/32 cutting angle. They come in 85,
100,125 grain. Ive shot alot of heads and the only head that comes close
to these heads are slick tricks, check them out at WWW.WACEMARCHERY.
COM
Old 03-26-2006, 12:23 PM

I would tell you to use the Muzzys, I have shot 4 deer with them and i have not have a problem yet. They fly great for me. I use the 3 blade 75 grain.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

you can use a mill file with the g5's or montecs along with a steel sharpenin stick get them heads razor sharp. anyone can do it. put the head point facing the handle, bh flat on file and pull it towards the tip of the file. use the same pressure for all three sides of the bh. next revolution (3 turns) use half the intitial pressure, and final revolution of the bh, use only wt of bh when pulling it across file. next step, screw the bh into an arrow shaft, put the feather or vane under your armpit with bh facing away from you. place the steel sharpening rod at a 45 degree angle on the widest part of the bh (i.e back end) and push it with light pressure towards the tip. do this to all sides of the bh several times. the file creates a burr and the steel rod takes it off. you must think of a broadhead blade like a triangle /\. if one side of the triangle is off then you don't have that perfect triangle to make your razor edge. hence apply the same pressure when stroking on the file so you don't get the lob sided triangle. this is just about fool proof. It takes about 5 minutes to sharpen a razorcap or g5 montec to shave hair with. be glad to help talk anyone thru it. I purchased my 12 inch mill file at lowes for 9.00. my steel stick came with my wifes kitchen knife set. it must be the fluted type and not ceramic. import to clean the file of the metal shavings frequent. a new file sharpens quicker and easier than an old file.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Spike

I agree the TALON is an EXCELENT head, you really need to just look at it. I have a vertibre with one in it from 35yrds, on an angle completely embedded and unbroken..very silent, fly like darts..
Old 04-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tthhWACKem

I agree the TALON is an EXCELENT head, you really need to just look at it. I have a vertibre with one in it from 35yrds, on an angle completely embedded and unbroken..very silent, fly like darts..
Glad someone else likes it. I still have to take a deer, but the flight and durability has impressed me! [8D]
Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The g5s are one solidcutter. Shot a doe this year had a pass through and stuck in the tree behind it did I mention that it smashed through the opposite shoulder blade on the way out. Still use it no dents no dings.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Spike

We are still looking for the perfect head, in our quest we are looking for a cut on impact with a chisel head that has replaceable blades, flies great, sharp and holds up. We have tried a lot of heads and all are good but here are some of our experiences with them that we didn't like.

Thunderheads- We have shot them for a long time but are tired of trying to get them to fly.

Talons- blades fold in, brother shot an elk behind the shoulder and the elk was double lunged but went 3/4 of a mile, two out of three blades were folded and not cutting.

Spitfires- blades are to long and make contact before head causing deflections out of treestand.

ABC Sonics - great head, fly great, super sharp but tip bends on impact.

Grim reaper- nice head but we have giving up on mechanicals because of lack of penetration. Shot a turkey at five yards shooting 65lbs, turkey ran off with arrow, zero penetration.

Muzzy- great head but same problems as thunderheads for us.

We are now trying out Wac'ems and think we may have found our head!!!
All of the above are good heads but in our opinion didn't perform to our expectations.

Quick Reply: Broadheads.........?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.