Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt vs. Mathews

Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Hoyt vs. Mathews

Well, my month long quest to find a new bow began last night at the local archery shop whereI shot the Mathews Switchback and then the Hoyt Trykon. I found bothto be similar in cost and speed. Where I noticed a difference was in vibration, stability while drawing back, ease of let down and quietness during the shot. In my opinion, Hoyt was the better bow. I am concerned about the split limb design only because I have never owned a bow with this feature. I am also wondering why Mathews bows seem so top heavy? Any suggestions on what I should look for in any bows I shoot or what types of brands are worth testing besides Mathews and Hoyt?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt vs. Mathews

You should look for a bow that fits you .. before you decide you should check out the new 06 BowTechs.. the Tribute is much sweeter than the Trycon or Switchback in my opinion and that is just it my opinion..
Old 01-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

I've never quite understood something. In my opinion almost all brands of bows are worth testing if they are available at your shop.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 AM

I agree that all bows are worth testing at each shop you enter. But with each shop only carrying certain bows, how would I know if I am missing a brand name or two? That is why I am asking.

The shop I attended last night did not carry Bowtech, now I know to search for a shop that sells them.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Boy oh boy are you a dollar sign when you walk in the door to your local BowTech Dealer...Nothing better than having a customer who has already tried out all the other brands on the market and is saving the BowTech to test last in line. I would call ahead tell them what you have already done and ask them to get2-3 bows ready for you in your draw length.

The bows youhave shot are great bows, but you have already mentioned some of your concerns with them. You're going to have to try real hard to find something wrong with the new BowTechs.

Try all 3 of their top models and don't be concerned with asking the dealer to set each bow up for you in your draw length. Have fun testing and let us know what happens. Oh and one more point...if your BowTech dealer is 2 hours away, YES it's worth the drive.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 AM

What other bows are made that compare favorably to "the Big Three"? Try logging onto www.bowhuntingworld.com. On the left side click on links. Scroll down to "bows" and look. There are more than you can shake a stick at.

There are names such as Parker, Darton, Pearson, Martin, and a host of others. All just as good as Hoyt and Mathews, many without the higher price tag. They are all capable of shooting much better than any human is capable of.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

All bows are worth atleast trying out, but who has that much time. Get a good feel for the bow companies and find one that suits you the best. Personally, I went with Hoyt Trykon XL. There are alot of great companies out there. Locate a few different dealers that carry different bows and try a few out......then make your decision.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

My local shop has sold a pile of the Hoyts with the split limbs, and I don't know of any that have been returned, and I'm there 3 or 4 evenings a week this time of year for indoor leagues. Shoot the right arrows, and it'll treat you well.

The Switchback is a sweet, sweet shooting bow. I personally ordered the Trykon XL; to me it was twice the bow compared to the little Trykon, and a little less smoother than the Switchback. But I like a longer bowbecause I use it for target shooting also, asI consider smoothness less important than accuracy. This may be an issue youmay consider, the axle to axle length, over anything else. All else being equal, you'llmost likely shoot a longer bow better. Don't let the name on the limbs impact your decision, just the holes in the target.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The above advice is great. Try the top three. I have owned bows from all three of those manufacturers icluding my brand new Bowtech Tribute. All great bows, very different feel for each. I went with a Tribute over the the others because I really couldn't find anything wrong with it. Definately shoot a Bowtech before you make up your mind.

Shane
Old 01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

I own a Mathews and I would agree with Mikey S. on Hoyt's durability. The place I bought mine carries, Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, and Parker. I shot them all and I liked the Switchback. I asked about durability, and they indicated that they get hardly any Hoyt's in on warranty work. He said that he gets very few Mathews in, and the Bowtech's are a close third.He said that all three stand behind their products so there isn't an issue withcustomer service with any of them.

I chose Mathews because it is what felt best to me.

Quick Reply: Hoyt vs. Mathews

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.