Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Muzzy 4 blade 130 grn test results >

Muzzy 4 blade 130 grn test results

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Muzzy 4 blade 130 grn test results

Old 10-09-2002, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzy 4 blade 130 grn test results

Muzzy 130 Grain 4 blade
Plywood: 5 points
Steel drum: 4 points
Tire: 2 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Accuracy: 4 points
Blades: 4 points
Non-mechanical head: 2 points
Total score: 24 with a Blade sharpness rating of B

This is a typical Muzzy head, it weighs 130 grains and has 4 blades. I found it to be of excellent quality and performance is what I have come to expect from Muzzy broadheads.
Accuracy was very good grouping with my field points at all ranges, this despite the fact that it weighed 5 grains more than my standard 125grain heads. In the plywood it busted through with no problems or damage. In the steel drum the head penetrated the first side, with the tip and the very ends of the blades sticking out the far side. In the tire it penetrated to the back of the blades, but did not fully penetrate the tire. I have found that 4 blade heads over 1” in cutting diameter have a problem getting through the tire. In fact none have, unless they shed a blade or two in the process. The Muzzy 4 blade with a 1” cut makes it though, but the blades are lower profile, and the tip is a bit smaller. Despite the fact it did not fully penetrate the tire I think the Muzzy 4 blade 130 grain is an excellent head. It cuts a really big hole in what it hits, penetrates very well, and is accurate. If you like muzzy heads, and want more cutting potential than the standard 3 blade heads or than the 4 blade 90 and 100 grain heads give, this is one to look at for sure. The only problem I see with the 130grain model is that with the new 125grain version, I don’t see Muzzy keeping both heads in the lineup. I could be wrong on this, but I suspect that with only 5 grains difference between the two heads, one is likely to be dropped, and with 125 grains being a “standard” weight, I don’t see Muzzy getting rid of it anytime soon. While I have not tested the 125 grain 4 blade, I feel very confident that it will perform exactly the same as the 130grain version. In any case, this is just another example of the high quality heads that Muzzy puts out.
As a side note, the only complaint I ever hear about Muzzy heads is that the blades could be sharper. While every one I have ever used would shave hair, it did take a little effort. I recently had the chance to check out some “improved” blades, and while they still are not as sharp as some, they are much improved over the older blades. They shave hair much easier, and tend to stay sharper longer while practicing. I have always felt that Muzzy blades were sharp enough out of the package for hunting, and the improved blades only make these great heads better.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-09-2002, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Muzzy 4 blade 130 grn test results

nice one. i am with u on the sharpness...they r not as sharp as the rockets, but they r a great blade. i am trying the new rocket slammer. i have to use 2 rubber bands on them to shoot through my blind. will the blades still open well on deer???

thanks for all of the test u do.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not shot the rockets with two rubberbands, but I know every mechanical I have tested has wanted to open even with dental floss tied around the blades. It takes a lot of force to hold the blades closed!

Old 10-10-2002, 06:09 PM

ok..thanks//i will keep them on there...and remove when shooting in open space...i will go with the one band
Old 10-13-2002, 08:24 PM

Do the four blade 115 grain heads match up to the 130 grain heads?
Old 10-14-2002, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 4 blade 115's are very close to the 130's. The both have 4 blades with a 1 1/8" cutting diameter. I would almost bet the farm that the 115's would score and preform the same as the bigger heads in my tests and on game.

Old 10-14-2002, 08:30 AM

Thanks 5Shot. What would we do here without all of your info?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Typical Buck

5 shot - as always - thanks for the report, I always love reading them!

- Mike