Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Help with safety harness >

Help with safety harness

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Help with safety harness

Old 10-14-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Help with safety harness

I am undecided on which safety harness to get for my 13 year old Son. I have lock on stands set up but cannot decide on which safety system to get for him.
I have narrowed my choices to;

Seat of the Pants Supreme and climbing system rope

Fall guy vest and retractor system

Any opinions on either?

Thanks,
Bmott
Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with safety harness

I have no personal experience with either one. [&:] But on several forums, including this one, the Seat of the Pants harnesses get a big thumbs up. In fact I don't think I've ever read a post (good or bad) about the Fall guy vest. Though it looks like a good harness as well.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly use the SOP harness and am currently testing the climbing system. So far I am very impressed!!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:32 AM

Go with the seat of the pants, you will be happy you did.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bmott, I recommend the vest style fall restraint. It's safe and very easy to put on. I started with the harness type until my son-in-law purchased the vest harness. The loose harness is a pain in the butt to get into when it's dark and you're in a hurry to get on stand. Straps want to turn and tangle. With the vest there are three plastic buckles to snap and you are ready to roll. Cabela's and Bass Pro both have youth size vests and they are well worth the cost for tree stand safety.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 AM

Just make sure that your son wears his harness every time he is on stand.
I first bought a safety harness ten years ago. I have worn it every time that I've been in my stand,....until last Friday night. I was packing up to go out hunting when I realized that I hadl eft my harness out at my brothers' house. I figured oh well, I've never even come close to falling out. So off I went. Bear with me, I'm typing with one hand.
I got up in my stand by 4:30, and settlrd in. By 6:00 I had deer everywhere. All does and fawns, but man this was exciting. I was in Iraq all of last year, so I missed all my hunting. This year I was going to make up for it. Anyway, by 6:15 I'd decided to fill my doe tag. I had promised my four year old son that when I shot one he could come out to help me track it. I was so excited. I leaned out onto on what I thought was a branch to take a shot at a big doe ten yards away. What I was leaning on wasn't a branch, it was the top half of my summit climber. The stand shifted when i was at half draw, and I went right down fifteen feet. I landed on my left arm and the left side of my chest and head. When I looked over I saw that my arrow was six inches away sharp end up. I was inches away from being impaled. I can't tell you how lucky I felt. more

When I pushed myself up, my left arm was flopping all over the place. What a horrible feeling. My cell phone had fallen out of my pocket during the fall, and my truck is a stick shift, I didn't know what to do. After five minutes of searching I finally found it. I called my wife, and about 1 hr 15 min after the fall I was finally at the hospital. After x-rays, I found out that I broke my humorous bone right in half. I am having surgery Sunday. Now I feel so stupid. I ruined my whole season just because I didn't drive the extra 30 min to get my harness. Please wear your safety harness!!! I just thank God that I'm not dead. Griz

Old 10-16-2005, 01:09 AM

[blockquote]
Here is a picture of my arm.
[/blockquote]
Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM

I would recommend the SOP, I have used it for the last couple of years and love it. It's comfortable, weighs very little, and easy to use. WhatI like best is thatI can put it undermy jacket so you don't even know you're wearing it. I have no experience with the Fall Guy vest, but I looked at some of those vests when I was buying a harness for my dad and I found the vests that I was looking at to be too heavy and made with metal buckles. I thought metal buckles would have the chance of causing noise at the worst time (banging against my weapon or rails on the tree stand). I have not had a problem putting the harness on, sure it takes a couple of minutes but it takes time to drive to the hunting area, walk to the tree stand, climb the tree... you have tobudget the time for everything.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have any experience with anything else, but I like the Loggy Transformer Safety System I've been using recently.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:49 AM

I bought the Hunter Safety System vest last year. I just love it. Much easier to put on plus it has plenty of pockets for your calls and things.

Quick Reply: Help with safety harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.