Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

"Slick Tricks" The Real Deal!

Old 09-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Default RE: "Slick Tricks" The Real Deal!

I had to buy a pack of slicktricks to see for my self all the things being said about them is true. now keep in mind this is my opinion.out of the package they were sharp.screwed on to a axis 340 shaft blazer vanes. bowtech patriot dually,76 lbs 305fps.@87lbs kenetic energy at 30& 40 yards hit with field point accuracy into a two inch sticker. shot them int a new morrell yellow jacket target whent 18'' at 30 yards.they are all steel construction so they are rugged.only could inproved the tip.design.compared to the two broadheads I shoot now they had the same penatration as the nap razorback but the wasp sst boss penatration was 22'' and the trocar tip is by far superior for penatration.as far as accuracy both these two heads hit a 2'' sticker at 30,40.50 yards consistent. in my opinon these heads would work on bigger game better,but on deer sized game the slick trick would be awsome.there are alot of new fixed blade heads out there that fly as good good as field points i tryed alot last year and inconjunction with the blazer vanes they all shot great.my local pro shop pelkey's archery supplied me the heads to do test with thanks ron& george.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 PM

Got mine last week and finally had a chance to try them out. Shot the Tricks first, then my field point at 20 yards. All I can say is a picture speaks a thousand words.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:22 AM

Hi, keep in mind that penetration depends on how much you cut. To compare heads apples to apples, you have to cut the same amount with each. A 1 1/8" 4 bladeMagnum Trick cuts 33% more than a 1 1/8" 3 blade head, for instance. And it opens a bigger hole, same as a 3 blade head opens a bigger hole than a 2 blade. If you check out 5 shots tests, no head, no matter what kind or tip, penetrated better that cut as much as a Trick. Even though the Magnum Tricks cut more and leave a better hole, they penetrated as well as the smaller hole 3 blade heads. You may also notice, that the new Standard Trick 100 and 125, which is a 1"X 1" head, outpenetrated cut on contact heads that had LESS cutthan the Standards, as well as 3 blade heads with other tips that cut less. The Trick tip seems to be underrated.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is the difference between the magnum trick and standard trick?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got mine yesterday. Ordered on Aug. 31. Pretty fast turn around for mail from WI to AZ and back (6 days and one was Labor Day). Can't wait to try them out tomorrow and see how they fly.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter
What is the difference between the magnum trick and standard trick?
....an 1/8th of an inch.

Magnum Slick Tricks are 1 and 1/8" diameter.
Regular Slick Tricks are 1" diameter.

Both are amazing broadheads and fly like darts!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may also notice, that the new Standard Trick 100 and 125, which is a 1"X 1" head, outpenetrated cut on contact heads that had LESS cutthan the Standards, as well as 3 blade heads with other tips that cut less. The Trick tip seems to be underrated.
Let me start by saying that if I hunted with my compound, I would use the Slick Tricks no question. I have practiced with them in the past and find them to be very accurate heads. However, I will still use a cut on contact with the longbow where I need as much penetration as possible. As you have said, we need to compare apples to apples here (even when comparing pentration). Pentration of steel drums, tires and plywoodto animal flesh and bone is not the same thing. If you read Asby's reports and testing on actual animals, you will find that two blade cut on contacts with a heavy arrow will penetrate best (I believe the grizzly single sided edge was the best penetrating).
Old 09-07-2005, 09:46 PM

Say Butch, how did your penetration test come out with the Standards?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just wanted to let you know that I had the opportunity to test my Slick Trick 100's last night bear hunting. I took a small bear at 15 yards. I could not believe the devastation that little head did to that bear! I hit him right behind the shoulder, got a complete pass through, and the bear only went 25 yards before collapsing. The whole is a perfect 4 blade shape the size of a 10 guage deer slug... I'm hooked.

The Slick Trick absolutely laid the smack down on that bear.

Here is a pic...

http://tinypic.com/dhacuq.jpg
Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Oldhootowl
Say Butch, how did your penetration test come out with the Standards?
Hi Gary,

I tried the standard blades, and they seemed to have more penetration than the magnum blades. They still punched a hole in the styrofoam target, but just not as massive as the 125gr magnum blades. Excellent broadheads!

Butch A.

Quick Reply: "Slick Tricks" The Real Deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.