Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Drop Away Rests

Old 08-31-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Drop Away Rests

Question : I currently have a wisker biscuit , and boy will it tear some vanes up. Are the drop aways that much better as far as arrow flight since no contact is made , or is the difference to small to notice ?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drop Away Rests

Good question. You are definitely going to notice less vane wear with a drop away style rest (assuming it is properly set up). Accuracy should be roughly equivalent with both rests with maybe a slight edge to the drop away since there is less of a chance of torque impacting accuracy.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Spike

I put a whisker biscuit on my bow this Spring and shot it up until this week. Like you, I found that it was hard on feathers and vanes. And I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy, range and noise compared to my previous rest.

I had a diamondback dropaway put on this past Monday. The difference in accuracy and overall quietness was evident in the first few shots. After shooting these past few evenings, I am convinced I made the right change. I will definitely put a dropaway on my other bow.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 AM

I put a Whisker Biscuit on my new Switchback and took it back after a day of shooting. It was way to loud for my liking. Why settle for all the friction when you can do without? The best thing about the Biscuit is it secures the arrow so you don't have to worry about it falling off of the rest. There are drop aways that have the same feature. I bought an Ultra-Rest and I love it. There are others great drop aways, but give this one a look. gl
Old 09-03-2005, 08:34 AM

Definitely take a look at the QAD Ultra Rest or the Ripcord (which is a copy of the Ultra design). You can cock the fork in the up position when you nock your arrow, which provides complete containment no matter what you do. Plus you don't have to worry about the arrow popping off the forks when you draw back - since the rest is already in the up position. Since I can't keep from tinkering, I've looked at a lot of different rests and have yet to find anything that provided the features of the QAD. Now, if you don't care about containment and only want the fastest possible drop away out there, there are others to choose from. But I'd rather have the containment feature over speed, especially since I've never had a problem with vanes contacting the forks anyway.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Hi there. One I don't like the WB. Put the main problem with them is that when you shoot helical fletching through them they teasar them up. Try shooting straight fletching, or go spend the money on a good drop rest. I shoot the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just hard to beat a quality fallaway rest for flawless performnace! I also depend on the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone and these incredoble rest have never let me down on any of my huntin' rigs for 3 seasons now! You've got to check one out?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the drop away gives you a little more forgiveness, and if working properly, no fletch contact. As far as accuracy goes, maybe a little edge over a properly set up Biscuit. I have my #1 bow set up with a QAD, and the backup had the Biscuit. Arrow flight, accuracy, and broadhead flight seem pretty much the same with both. My QAD started hanging up, and I took the rest apart 3 times, finally taking out the little catch that kept it in the upright position. Now it functions like a Trophy Taker, but it does give me clearance every time, which it didn't do before. I still like the rest, and the way my bow shoots.

BUT, if you are tearing up vanes with the Whisker Biscuit, then either you are not using the right vanes (Flex Fletch, Vanetec, Blazers, or feathers), or there is a problem with the setup, and you are getting strong contact with the support bar at the bottom, or some othe tuning issue. With at least 3 bows, I have gotten the Biscuit to shoot pretty well, at least good enough to shoot 2-3" groups at 30 yds. Full helical with good vanes is not a problem. They should show almost no wear when you use good vanes and the bow is well tuned.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:21 AM

Hmmm....well, a drop will most certainly not ruin your fletching. I doubt they are more accurate though. Those WB's are darn good rests. I believe a drop will help with broadhead flight. No contact is always a good thing. You will also gain a little speed with a drop, somewhere around 3-5 fps.
The one thing I really like about a WB is it's simplicity. Very simple rest, no moving parts, not much to go wrong.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:52 AM

I like the WB that I have, its accurate and still pretty quiet. Yes it wrinkes the vanes but then I just take a hairdryer to em to straighten them out again.

Quick Reply: Drop Away Rests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.