Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Best bow for a afordable price >

Best bow for a afordable price

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best bow for a afordable price

Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Best bow for a afordable price

Im currently using my dads martain bobcat bow which its about 10 years old i think. i wanted to buy a new bow with all of the most updated stuff for about 200 to 300 bucks. does anyone know of a good hi tech compound bow for 200 to 300 bucks.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best bow for a afordable price

First off I'd try to visit any and all of the pro shops in your area and see what they oofer in your price range and see if they have any second hand bows hanging on a rack. There are usually somegreat deals to be had on the second hand rack.
The advantage of going this route is the proshop owner will have the ability to properly set your draw length and help with arrow selection for that particular bow.

With that saidif you can find a shop that carries the Reflex, Martinor PSElineup you will find the bow your after if your wanting to go new. All three of them have decent bows in your price range. The Reflex Excursion and Martin Jaguar Magnum are the two bows I'd start with.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Dave. Find a new bow in that price range with the features you are talking about is pretty hard- Dave listed theexact same brands I was thinking of. However, you can find good used bows that are sometimes less than a year old and hardly shot at pro-shops. If you are adventureous, you can get great deals in the classified sections of forums. I've had really good luck over on AT with buying stuff from other guys. They have a trader's feedback section so you can see who is a good seller and who is not. I've not tried it on this forum. Archers are always willing to help each other out and I'm sure it is no expception here.

AT has a "wanting to buy section" as well where you put what you are looking for and folks respond with what they want to sell. Maybe you can put a WTB in the archeryclassifieds here.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I shot several Reflex and PSE bows over the years and like several of them. I would check around for leftover and trade ins before I decide. Don't jump on the first cheap price you find. Shoot as many as you can. I shoot a Hoyt Supertec and it is the perfect bow for me. The next guy may hate mine and love a Bowtec or PSE. It is all about personal prefrence.

SF
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others. Look to your local Pro Shops and find a used bow that fits you. Most used bows don't hold their value all that well and you can often find fully outfitted bows with arrows for the same price an a new model that needs to be accessorized.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would highly recommend the 2005 Fred Bear and Jennings lines as far as price/durability are concerned.

Let me start off by saying that I've been a college student for the past 7 years (including grad. school), and my budget was tight. I hunt hard, and I hunt a lot. I bought a Jennings Airmaster (308 IBO) 7 years ago for a little over $300.

It's survived a full-draw dryfire,a 26 foot freefall into hard dirt under my treestand.

It's spent a few nights in the woods, been frozen about a 50 times, fell out of the bed of a truck at 20 mph on a gravel road, and I've had that bow (60-70#) maxxed out at 78 pounds since the day I got it. Those limbs are buried in the pockets and the screw has rusted into place. You couldn't lighten it up if you tried.

I'll have the Jennings out this year again, and I couldn't even tell you how many deer I've killed with it, but I plan on killing a few more. Now, it's not pretty, it's not a competition bow, but it's a really nice hunting bow.

I'm really hard on gear, and I don't baby anything. This bow is the real deal. My best friend is a Hoyt pro shooter, and he refuses to sell me a Hoyt, b/c he says that I will break it for sure.

Jennings/Bear is still using the same limbs that I have, and I can attest to their durability.

I can't see spending $1000.00 on a bow, no matter how much money I make. I'll be in the market soon again, and I'll be looking at the Buckmasters G2SQ (400),or the SQ32 (slightly more expensive - 500). In the $250 range, check out the Reflex Excursion.

You don't need an expensive bow to kill deer, believe me.The hardest part is getting a good shot at a good deer. Hitting it is easy.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Mathews, but was looking around in the shop last week. I talked to the Pearson/Mc Phearson rep....they have some nice new bows out this year.....I think one is called the diesel if I remember right? Nice bows at a decent price. Best advice I can give is shoot everything you can before you buy.....Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

hey big sol,
i would look into Martin bows, they have some quality bows for a great price
around here some of the Magnums are going for $299, and for the money, its a great bow
Old 08-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Quicksilver:

I still have (but its retired) a Jennings T-Star that I bought used 28 years ago. It still works.
They are tough, but these old bones needed one of these new fangled 80% let off - liteweight jobs.

I bought a leftover Parker Ultra-lite Pro for $300 bucks. I like it a lot.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 PM

Find a nice used JENNINGS BUCKMASTER on eBay. The bow sold for $229 brand new until all this 'perimeter-weighted cam' stuff hit the market. It'sa really nice solo-cam bow.

I loved mine...

Believe it or not I hunt with a 1970's Bear Polar LTD (look at my profile - I shot this beautiful 8-pointer shown in 1998 with a 70's Bear Whitetail bow) - perhaps a $80 bow at K-Marts's back then! I just can't see spending $400 on a bow to zip an arrow thru a deer at 15 yds! Its simply overkill (no pun intended)! I spent a whopping $30 for my Polar LTD on eBay and its superb!

Quick Reply: Best bow for a afordable price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.