Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fletching jigs

Old 08-07-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Fletching jigs

I am thinking of trying to refletch my own arrows. Not for the $ since my pro shop only charges $1.00 per arrow which to me sounds like a steal. But since my work schedule rarely gives me time to make it to the pro shop when they are open. I have seen an Arizona Easy fletch for sale for about $38.00. Are these any good?? They look pretty cheap but they must work since every shop around here sells them.
I shoot Gold Tip XT5575 mainly but may switch to Gold Tip 7595 when these get used up. They are fletched with a slight (I think)a right helical.

What would be a good jig that is not too expensive and is easy to use??
Old 08-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching jigs

Goldtips, and every other factory fletched arrow, comes with a slight right offset straight fletch, just a couple degrees. They don't come in helical because helical fletching, though beneficial, will cause fletching contact problems on most non-dropaway rests. Not sure not well helical fletched vanes would fare through a biscuit either, but I've never tried it or seen it done. The slight right offset is better than 0 degree straight fletch at stabilizing arrows, but doesn't cause too many contact problems with launcher style rests.

Helical fletching actually wraps around the arrow shaft and if it were extended would look a lot like the rifling in the barrel of a gun turned inside out. This allows the vanes to have a lot more pitch while keeping the base of the vane in full contact with the shaft. Offset straight fletch is commonly misidentified by those who've never really seen what helical looks like because it does have a small degree of pitch. But if you looked at a straight fletch clamp you'd understand that the vane is still glued on perfectly straight and just canted a little bit, but not so much that the ends of the vane lose contact with the shaft.

I have a recommend the Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch. It's a very sturdy and well built jig that, once adjusted for your chosen arrow diameter, never has to be messed with again unless you change arrow diameters. I bought mine with the right helical clamp because I have drop-away rests on both my bow and my wifes. Helical is without a doubt the way to go if your setup will allow it. Otherwise get the straight clamp. I used the 2" Blazer vanes with as much helical as I can get. They work very well. The Bitzenberger allows me to choose the standard 120deg 3-fletch (my preference), 90deg 4-fletch, and an oddball 75-105deg four fletch (must be a finger shooting thing?). It's a good unit, but it is the most expensive single-arrow jig out there. I got it because I know it's built to last unlike it's plastic bretheren.

Mike

Old 08-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the Bitzenburger jig on a few occasions and can vouch for it's quality and performance. In my opinion it is the best jig on the market. For my needs I decided to go with the Jo-Jan mono fletcher. It is available for about 1/2 the price of the Bitz. Like the Bitz, the Jo-Jan is also an all metal jig. The standard jig comes with a straight clamp that is adjustable for left or right offset and 0 - 2 degrees. Or, for the same price, you can buy their helical fletcher which comes with your choice of a left or right helical clamp capable of 11 degrees helical.

I've also used the Arizona EZ fletch and had no problems with it. It was easy to use. One big advantage this jig has is that you canapply all of your fletchings at once. Rather than 1 by1 like the Bitz and Jo-Jan.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 AM

What driftrider said and I also prefer the Bitz.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Spike

I prefer the BPE Pro Fletcher, easier to csetup and change , priced less, more fletching options.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a used Bitz on ebay. They are built to last, a used one is as good as new, just not as shiney
Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 AM

buy the bitz for consistency and everyday use, the arizona is good for a quick fix in the field
Old 08-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Bitzenburger here..its slow but just the job very well.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I absolutley love my EZ fletcher. I've fletched all types of vanes with it including Blazers. So far VaneTecs have worked the best in it.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Goldtips, and every other factory fletched arrow, comes with a slight right offset straight fletch, just a couple degrees. They don't come in helical because helical fletching, though beneficial, will cause fletching contact problems on most non-dropaway rests. Not sure not well helical fletched vanes would fare through a biscuit either, but I've never tried it or seen it done. The slight right offset is better than 0 degree straight fletch at stabilizing arrows, but doesn't cause too many contact problems with launcher style rests.

Helical fletching actually wraps around the arrow shaft and if it were extended would look a lot like the rifling in the barrel of a gun turned inside out. This allows the vanes to have a lot more pitch while keeping the base of the vane in full contact with the shaft. Offset straight fletch is commonly misidentified by those who've never really seen what helical looks like because it does have a small degree of pitch. But if you looked at a straight fletch clamp you'd understand that the vane is still glued on perfectly straight and just canted a little bit, but not so much that the ends of the vane lose contact with the shaft.

I have a recommend the Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch. It's a very sturdy and well built jig that, once adjusted for your chosen arrow diameter, never has to be messed with again unless you change arrow diameters. I bought mine with the right helical clamp because I have drop-away rests on both my bow and my wifes. Helical is without a doubt the way to go if your setup will allow it. Otherwise get the straight clamp. I used the 2" Blazer vanes with as much helical as I can get. They work very well. The Bitzenberger allows me to choose the standard 120deg 3-fletch (my preference), 90deg 4-fletch, and an oddball 75-105deg four fletch (must be a finger shooting thing?). It's a good unit, but it is the most expensive single-arrow jig out there. I got it because I know it's built to last unlike it's plastic bretheren.

Mike

My buddy shoots left helical vanes thru his Whisker Biscuit rest with no problems. He consistantly takes bucks out to 50 yds with his bow.