Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Some interesting findings while checking out new bows! >

Some interesting findings while checking out new bows!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Some interesting findings while checking out new bows!

Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Some interesting findings while checking out new bows!

I too have been looking for a new bow. My son is ten and I just bought him a new Alpine Micro so I thought I'd better get myself a new one so we can shoot as father and son. I bow hunted for quite a few years in the late 70's through the early 80's but once I moved to Washington state and one has to chose a specific weapon for each animal hunted I migrated toward the rifle crowd for a while but the bow hunting bug is biting again and man it's biting hard this time.
Yesterday I finally went to shoot some of the bows I have been reading about on this site. I am right handed but left eye dominant so I shot a bunch of right handed bows left handed but there were a few left handed among them (Liberty and the Justice). Some of my findings suprised me; especially when we brought out the chronograph. The draw length wasn't perfect on all of them either.
I shot the Allegiancea week or so agoand man is it a rocket launcher. The draw wasn't nearly as smooth as the Liberty but the wall was solid as a; well wall. I also shot a right handed Patriot that day and the wall was so firm that when I hit it each time the arrow would bounce off the arrow rest. I have noidea why butI suspect it had something to do with being the wrong hand for me but it was the only bow that exhibited that trait. They all seemed about the same really without the bennefit of a chronograph that day.
Fast forward to yesterday......................................... ...............................................
I went back in to look the bows over and upon drawing them all I decided I liked the shorter bows much better than the longer ones since this is going to be a tree stand bow predominantly. I initally focused on the Mighty Mite, the Justice and the Defender. I went back to shoot them and noticed the bows felt differently when being drawed with an arrow on the rest and a release than with fingers at the counter.
It was tough to decide so we brought out the chronograph. Here are the results fromshooting through the chronograph. The chronograph was supposedly broken (reading low) but then all readings will be low and it seemed to work fine for us.
All bows were set as accurately as possible to 62 -63 lb pull with a mechanical pull down gauge andone arrow with a field tip was used for all testing. The slowest bow was the:

Liberty at 250.2 FPS average

Tom Kat at 251.2 FPS average

Justice at 259.5 FPS average

Mighty Mite at 262.7 FPS average

Defender at 272.7 FPS average

And for the heck of it I shot the new Browning Illusion at the same draw weight and it shot 278.2 FPS

I wish now that I'd shot the Allegiance through the Chronograph.

Anyway these were my findings. I still plan to shoot a Switchback (different dealer) and the Hoyt V-TEC and Vipertech but for right now it looks like for speed andsmoothness in a small package the Defender would be my choice. It really drew back smoothly with an arrow on the rest. I guess I look at it a dimimutiveAllegiance. It has the same limbs, same cams with a shorter riser and I was suprised it was faster than the Mighty Mite and Liberty.

So what am I missing? If I had to order a bow today it would be the Defender (so far).

Hollow Point

Old 07-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some interesting findings while checking out new bows!

Interesting. What draw length were you shooting at and what did the arrow weigh? Also what was on the string ( peep, brass nock etc.) ?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 PM

I recently purchaced a switchback and am very happy with it. With a 28 1/2 inch draw lengthI shot at 289 FPS. I am shooting gold tip XT 5575 arrowswith 100 grain tips.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 PM

I have no idea what the arrow weighed. Thinking back, I guess I should have asked the sales fellow to weigh the arrow.
The bows had various ways of releasing the arrow. I think it was the Tom Kat that had a string loop behind the nock point. The rest of them only had a brass nock point and perhaps a small rubber button under the nock.
I had figured the Mighty Mite would rule the speed test but it just wouldn't perform. I tried moving back and forth closer and further from the chronograph with each bow trying to find the "sweet spot" giving the highest velocity.
I still can't wait to shoot the Switchback.
What about Alpine bows? My son has the Micro and I thought I'd buy an Alpine as well but they seem to be less than popular in some areas. His bow sure seems well made.

Hollow Point
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Hollow point are you still going to shoot righty bows left handed?If I where you I would just make the plunge and shoot lefty bows.I did it three years ago and never looked back.I am left eye dominant,and right handed and shot righty for twenty some odd years.Shooting lefty now just seems naturual.You will be suprised at how quick you will adapt.I have taken many animals since I made the switch.Alpine does make some nice bows too.I shoot a Hoyt razer tech,and a Martin something?I can't remember the name of it, but bought the left handed martin older used one,from a guy from the message boards for cheep,just to see if shooting lefty was doable.I am glad I did.one reasonm I made the switch was I once had a verry large Illinois buck ten yards from my stand,I took the shot and missed.I knew after the shot I missed.I later got out of the stand and went to another,I then aimed at a large leaf at the same distance on the ground and found that shooing both eyes open I missed far to the left,I then closed my right eyeand shot another arrow,and found that I hit dead on.What had happened is, with the large buck under my stand,I shot with both eyes opened and that my dominant eye(left)took over and made me shoot far left.Just thought that I would share.The transition to shooting lefty was pretty easy ..
Old 07-05-2005, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

And for the heck of it I shot the new Browning Illusion at the same draw weight and it shot 278.2 FPS
Now that surprised me, especially considering the other bows you were comparing it to. I haven't had a chance to handle one of the new Illusions but considering the looks of it I might have to. Sort of looks alot like a Switchback.

Anyway, was the draw length the same on all the bows you shot? If not then that might explain some of the unusual speed differences.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Were all the bows set at the same draw length?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 PM

PABowhntr - I haven't got to shoot the Illusion, but looked at one over the weekend. Seems to be a sweet little bow. Loved the grip and it has a really solid back wall. If you shoot one, let us know what you think.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:35 PM

Drstalker, I guess I must not have explained that the reason Iwas shooting the right handed bows was because there were only a few left handed ones available. I have shot bows left handed for years (even though I am right handed).
I found a smokin deal on an Alpine Denali but I think the Bow Tech bite I recently received is repelling it's appeal.
Now I am wrestling with getting the Allegiance or the Defender. I know it seems likeit's an easy answer but it's really not!
I called Bow tech today at lunch and they said the reports they are hearing is the Defender is coming in quite a bit fasteron arrow speeds than they had anticipated. Meaning it's not much slower than an Allegiance but 2 3/8" shorter. Hum?? Sure sounds like a tree stand bow to me.
Draw lengths? They were not all the same, especially the Liberty. It seemd to have the longest draw length 30"? and I was only using 28 1/2" of it, so the slower speeds make sense.
Tomorrow is decison day!

Hollow Point
Old 07-05-2005, 10:38 PM

PS: Browning hasn't made any left handed Illusions just yet or I'd really have a heck of a decision to make. They are supposed to start building lefties some time this month. Guys, it's one heck of a bow.; far better than my old Browning Explorer I.
Now to figure out what type of rest and sights are best...........

Quick Reply: Some interesting findings while checking out new bows!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.