Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

new user/new "cross"bow

Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 PM

Default new user/new "cross"bow

guys, I am a new user and a 12 year bowhunter. I have had my success but my work as a computer programmer caused me a problem in my ulner nerve. I thought my days of bowhunting were over when someone mentioned a cross bow. I know nothing about a cross bow and am not sure how much I will like it. I see both recurve and compound but in a cross bow cant see what the difference is. So before the year starts I thought Id ask around to see if anyone can give suggestions. I will be hunting in Illinois and my doctor has no problem giving me the green light to hunt
Old 05-27-2005, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new user/new "cross"bow

Not sure I understand what your asking but if your asking about x bows, shoot some and you'll see the difference. You might not be able to cock one. Thought I wanted one untill I shot one. I don't see the benifit to the disabled, but if they do.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I own two of them and I like them .
No , it isn't quite the same as vert bow hunting , but it's still enjoyable and has about the same limitations as a vertical bow with regard to range , penetration , etc . Be prepared to reduce your outside range limit though , bolts lose energy faster than arrows . I've watched mine drop 10" over ten yards . Practice is every bit as important with a crossbow as it is with any other weapon , don't slack on the practice . Despite what you may hear , it isn't as simple as mounting a scope and hitting the bullseye every time .

Given a choice of types , I prefer my 180# recurve model . It can get bolt speeds up to 250 FPS with a 100 grain Thunderhead on a 20" XX75 bolt . A friend of mine who has lots of experience with crossbows has and reccomends Excaliber crossbows , they get the same bolt speeds as compound types , 300+ FPS , but require less tuning and maintainence . The compound models are somewhat fussy and require the same kind of "tuning" that you would have to do to a compound bow .

Crossbows can be somewhat cumbersome in the woods , they tend to be heavy and noisy . I've found mine to be best suited to blind or tree stand hunting for this reason . The company(SVL) that makes String Leeches™ also makes a kit for quieting crossbows . Still hunting , especially in "the thick stuff" , can be rather annoying because of the encumbrance and configuration of the crossbow .
Old 05-27-2005, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

No , it isn't quite the same as vert bow hunting , but it's still enjoyable and has about the same limitations as a vertical bow with regard to range , penetration , etc .
I would tend to agree. I bought a relatively inexpensive crossbow to use during our extended archer/late muzzleloader season last year. Is there something specific about crossbow usage or the selection that you have a question about?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

My dad has 2 herniated disks in his upper back and he had to go to a cross bow. He got a 10 Point and it is an awesome cross bow. He got his with a crank. to cock it you just crank it back, anyone could do it. Compound cross bows are shorter than recurve cross bows and most of them are faster too.

As for accuracy, range and penetration the newer top of the line cross bows are better than compound bows. My dads 10 Point shoots a heavy Bolt with 100gr Montec broad heads and it is shooting 318 fps. Bear/Cabelas has a new cross bow that shoots 340 fps now. My dad put a Bushnell scope on his and at 30 yards with a rest you can put three bolts so close together they are hard to get out of the target. At 30 yards off hand you can still put three bolts in a 1.5" circle. At 40 yards it would be easy to kill a deer, its just like shooting a rifle. I’m not saying that anyone can pick up a cross bow and shoot out to 100 yards, I’m just saying that out to 40 it is very easy, after that the bolt weight takes over and it really starts to drop. That heavy bolt traveling at 318 fps+ will give you better penetration than most if not all compound bows.

Good luck
This is my experience with cross bows, my father would rather use a regular bow, however a cross bow is better than not going.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'd be well advised to shoot a few during the summer and see what the differences are in them. I work in a shop and put them together, shoot them and repair them. Even box a few up to go back for repairs. Of all the brands made I would look at nothing but 10 Point and EXCALIBER. When you are just looking pay attention to which ones have plastic rails and sight mounts. The more plastic it has the less quality you'll get overall; and the more problems. Trigger pull is another issue. The cheaper models will have an attrocious (spelling) trigger pull. Some I've shot were up there around 14lbs. I thought the safety was still on. Anti-dryfire devices like the 10Point has is also a nice feature. The cocking device on the 10Point is built right onto the stock vs a bulky carry-around model such as Horton has. Speed is not everything it's cracked up to be. Some of the junkiest compounds you can buy are also the fastest. No matter what speed they are still to be considered a short range weapon.

The fact is, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:05 PM

thanks for all the info, I have bow hunted for several years and I am a fair hunter( that is it they get in my range) As many replied not understanding my question, I will be more specific, I am going to try out the crossbow idea this year but I am not sure if I'll like it so I dont want to spend alot. There are two type of cross bows that I have seen recurve and compound (is there any advantage to either?) Since your not holding the string how does the recurve and the compound difer? Thanks to those that understood what I was trying to say. Hopefully I will have enough time to resume my strength and go with my normal bow. but as we all know, the next hunting season is right around the corner
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only difference I have seen between the two styles is that the compound versions tend to be a bit easier to cock as they breakover into a valley before locking in place. Most folks buy a cocking device though when they buy their xbows so that "advantage" may be negligible.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:52 AM

I'm in my second year of crossbow hunting, we just had a split season for all hunters to use crossbows in Maryland added recently, and I thought I'd get one just for another way to hunt. They are not easier to hunt with than a normal bow. You trade off noise for ease of aiming and pulling a trigger like a gun, and have the luxury of a scope. Your effective yardage is really still 40 yds, if your comfortable shooting at that distance. If I couldnt shoot a regular bow I would definately go to the x bow, and I will hunt with mine every season. It is another way to enjoy the sport, but stalking can be a tad tedious, with its weight and size.