Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead feedback

Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Broadhead feedback

Looking for feedback on broadhead selection. Here is my scenario and I knew if I posted here I'd get plenty of opinions.

Shooting a Hoyt Ultrasport at 50lbs 29 1/2 inch draw. I flared up an old shoulder injury shooting the bow at 60 and had no relief at 55 so I had the shop tune it as low as it would go. Unfortunately I had my arrows cut and set for the 60lb pull, shot 24 or so arrows when injury reoccured. 400 grain carbon Eastons and 100grain field points. I have only shot 100 arrows tops at 20 yds. I am grouping tight. Consistently out of 3 shots 2 will be within a dimes diameter and the third just on the fringe of that diameter. I know that the spine may make a slight issue since they were set up for 60lbs,but I'm not forking out for more carbons at this point and I am hoping through consistent shooting the body will adjust and I can creep up in poundage a little at a time until I am back near 60lbs. Woods I typically hunt will not allow for more than 30 yd shots. I am looking for suggestions as to what retractable/mechanical broadheads you folks have tried and like. Deer will be the primary animal they will be used on. I don't want to spend say more than $30 for 3. I am lazy when it comes to some stuff and I'd rather throw out the head and open a new pack than changeing the blades. Additionally, feedback on the smaller fixed blades would also be appreciated as I have heard some of these fly much like fieldpoints as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead feedback

Check out www.broadheadtests.com and read through the differnt pages. It should help get you started in the right direction.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:07 AM
PLB

Snyper's
Old 05-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have used the Snypers and they do preform just like 5 shot's tests and work well on deer. They are the best mechanical I have tried. The only problem I have found is I prefer to hunt / stalk with an arrow loaded at all times. Sometimes I have my bow in front of me, while other times it is held downward near my leg with the arrow facing backwards. I have noticed on countless occasions when the bow and arrow are facing backwards, the blades snag on every little piece of high grass, twigs, bramble bushes, etc... The blades will then pop forward making a shot "probably" impossible (I have never tried to shoot a mechanical with the blades in an unclosed configuration). I do shoot a fixed blade head now, but I would always use a mechanical like the hypershock when stalking and then the Snyper when I reached my stand location. However, the only problem is the cost when it comes to these types of mechanicals. In terms of fixed blades with cost an issue, the Muzzy 4 blade 100gr gets my vote. The muzzy 4 blade also comes with dull practice blades, I use these instead of fieldpoints in practice all year long.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM

I would go with fixed blades if you are hunting in the woods. I shoot Muzzy 100 gr. four blade broadheads, and havn't had a problem with them. They shoot exactly like my field points with no noticeable difference. I am grouping just like you are with my field points, and broadheads. The only problem is that when you group that tight with broadheads you start cutting up you other shafts. Fixed blades are also a lot more reliable than mechanicals.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with bowhunter50 on the fixed blade. Is there a reason you are not including them in your search? I am saying this for two reasons; First, you are only shooting 50 pounds, which may be iffy with a mechanical. Second, if your bow was tuned correctly with your arrows at 60 pounds, then your arrows may be a bit stiff for your current setup. Increasing the weight of the arrow tip will help this a great deal. You may have a hard time getting the correct weight with mechanicals (I have not seen too many over about 125 grain). You may have to go heavier then that.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:41 PM

If your looking for a really reliable mechanical thats durable and will give you good penetration look into the Grim Reapers. Check out their website at www.GrimReaper.com and you will see what I mean. There are countless others out there also that are really good and I shoot different broadheads from year to year or trip to trip so just look around and I'm sure you'll get alot more great advice here also. If your maybe looking for a fixed that flies really well and is very durable look into the G5 Montecs also. I used them last year on a hog hunt and they were devastating. LOL
Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM

Magnus stinger.....cut-on-contact and flys like my fieldpoints to 40 yds......
Old 05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am lazy when it comes to some stuff and I'd rather throw out the head and open a new pack than changeing the blades.
This statement completely baffles me. Usually blade replacement is so simple its ridiculous. And most times you still have to put new heads together. Can you send me all your "used" heads.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:49 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going with Sonics from the American Broadhead Company. Low and behold I went to my proshop yesterday for some fine tuning. I was grouping tight and nine out of ten times I was hitting in the 2 to 3 o'clock area. The tenth time I would group tight again but be in the 9 0'clock area. This is all at 20 yds. The pro I normally deal with had the day off. What nerve, last time I went in 2 weeks ago he was bear hunting in Canada. Well I dealt with the owner and his wife. The had me shoot and were amazed at the groups I was shooting. They have a file when they sell a bow and give you 10 hrs instruction and an additional 10 hrs of indoor range time. I had only shot less than 2 hrs with the other pro and an hour or two on my own. I told them this bow from day one had shot groups as tight as a cats a... They said they would not touch the sights. But if I had a few minutes to keep shooting they would be right back after the 2 browsers who were their for the past hour left. They came back after I had shot another dozen,Watched me for another dozen and then had a long discussion about my grip. I switched my finger position and presto every one of the next dozen either center of the bullseyes or on the frindge. After I was done and we discussed the general state of affairs in NH hunting I asked about broadheads. They started talking about Sonic fixed blades. They gave me three heads and had me shoot with them. I shot 6 arrows and all 6 grouped just like my fieldpoints. Came home and read the literature and do some research and low and behold my shop was and still is involved in design and testing of these blades. I will be going back and buyying a 1/2dozen this week. They are only 36 bucks for a 1/2 dozen. Quality and quantity for a decent price. Anyway sorry for the long windedness.

Rybo what grain heads you shooting? Send me your address if you are shooting 100 gr and I'll send you some .

Quick Reply: Broadhead feedback

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.