Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Newbie needs help bowing carp >

Newbie needs help bowing carp

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Newbie needs help bowing carp

Old 01-29-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Newbie needs help bowing carp

Hello everyone-

I am thinking about doing some bowfishing. I have no idea where to begin.

I have never shot a compound bow.
What size to get?

I am 6'2" and have a 76" 'wingspan' finger tip to finger tip.
I went to a store and pulled on some bows. I need one with a LOW draw weight. It turns out I am pretty weak.
That got me to start working out, but 70 lb draw it TOO much.

Then I need to know about bow features. What do bowfisherman need? I will be fishing for carp and mostly from shore.

Finally, where can I get a bow. They seem pretty expensive on ebay or from a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops.

I look forward to hearing from you ... and then I look forward to getting some carp.

-John
Old 01-29-2005, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Newbie needs help bowing carp

john i know how u feel im not that strong either im only 14 but i got a bow that im selling to buy a new one because this bow is to big for me. its brand new i havnt shot it more than 50 times. it has 3 pin sight a rest and a peep site and i will sell it to u for 200.00 dollars its a pse brute force maxis. if your interested my email is [email protected]

thanks caleb
Old 01-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most Proshops could help you if tell them what your looking for. You should be able to find an old rig for 50 buck tops. Then set it up! You don't want a real good bow, the get beat up and really abused!

Thanks

Lots of times Pawn Shops have them.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for replying so soon. Pawn shops are a great idea. Will the salespeople at a Cabela's be able to size me properly? The closest archery speciality store is pretty far away.

Also what do I need to 'set it up'? Just a reel, some line, and a couple arrows?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:49 AM

Default RE: Thanks

ams sells a combo pack to set up your bow it has a retriver reel, two muzzy tiped arrows, a triloop rest and a video all for $114 check them out at amsbowfishing.com
Old 01-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thanks

Try to find an old recurve - no set draw length and very light. You don't really need or want one over 50# or so. If you get into a lot of fish, you're arm will get ried.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with fishhunter, dont go with too high of a poundage
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM

I'll also add that the higher poundage bows not only make your arm sore, you'll tend to blow through more fish and tangling your line up. I switched to recurves years ago for bowfishing for that reason alone. Plus, on long bowhunts for carp, the recurve is much lighter to carry. And when your bow is constantly getting wet and banged around the boat or dropped in the water, an inexpensive recurve not only holds up better, but are much cheaper to replace.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:14 PM

hey elephant did you ever get setup and started
Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help bowing carp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.