Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Whats the point?? >

Whats the point??

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Whats the point??

Old 12-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats the point??

I,m not against you guys but my son wants to bowfish but here in Oregon we can only shoot carp. I like to fly fish for carp its a hoot, I relese them after the fight but you just can't do that bow fishing. So what do you do with them, Dont say eat them Ive tried them and they suck. Boney stinky fish. How do you use them ??? just wondering
Old 12-19-2004, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Whats the point??

Well.....if you tried them, and they suck, dont do it then! No animal should be wasted, or harvested if they are not intended to be utilized.......Except, in situations where the animal is a non-native invasive animal, like the bighead, silver, and yes..the common carp are also on that list, and the taking of them are incouraged by state biologists. States have a bounty on the fish, and many many scientific studies show them to be a detriment to the ecosystem. Just think...if the common carp were not so overpopulated, how much clearer would the water be without their feeding habits causing heavy siltation. Many more true native fish would flourish.
And smoked and pickled carp are very good to eat. NEVER, should native fish like buffalo and gar be harvested without being utilized.
Let your son bowfish, its a old way to use archery equiptment, and is great fun.
What bothers me, is why bowfishing, and the people who love the sport, has to be constantly attacked by other sporting groups. Not only do peta and the like attack this outdoor sport, but carp groups have tried to ban it in texas, N.Y., and have written anti bowfishing articles in In-Fishermen that would make a peta member proud. I would like to know why this is done. Do you know, these groups even suggest joining with peta to ban bowfishing? For what reason?? Is there a shortage of carp? With all our sports under attack, ALL sporting groups need to join togeather, and groups that would hurt us need to be shunned, and shown for the selfish radicals they are. Bowfishing is a great outdoor sport, just like deer, pheasant and squirrel hunting, bass and pike fishing, and should be supported by ALL outdoorsmen/women, the same as those sports are.
Its kind of funny, but i have heard the same question,"whats the point?", concerning the C&R fishing you enjoy, from non sporting people. It seems the catching of a fish purely for the sport of it, without eating it baffles some. Not me, Im for sportsmen, and support whatever they like to do. Heres a couple carp and invasive species studies that show the predation of these fish is not only good for the waters, but supported by DNRs.
www.nps.gov/miss/features/ruffish/history.htm

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/gmu/l...x/exotics.html

P.S.....Rich, I saw you took a trophy sized mountain lion . Did you eat it?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:06 PM

they make excellent fertilizer... and actually when taken from clean water they are good eating if properly prepared... the thing to do is skin and filet them... then take all the red meat off the outside of the filet... from there they are good baked, poached, broiled, fried, boiled, in kabobs, stew, sauteed, no wait a minute that was in Forrest Gump about the shrimp... lol, once you get them cleaned up you can do them up about any way you'd like to do fish...

other than that what we're doing is ridding the water of an invasive species that has no redeeming factors about it... they are a scourge that needs kept under control by any means...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:20 PM

Mostly all I use them for is fertilizer. I've been thinking about throwing a smaller one on the smoker though.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

What's the point?

The point is that it's fun.

Killing the common carp is good for the environment.... AND it's good for the remaining carp. Think of it as Quality Carp Management.

Releasing a carp is nice to that individual carp, but it doesn't do anything to improve carp fishing (either angling, or bowfishing). In good habitat carp quickly overpopulate and become stunted. (even a popular European carp fishing magazine called American carp overpopulated and stunted)

I do enjoy angling for carp when I'm not trying to impale them with fiberglass arrows. Even when catching carp on hook and line, I still clock them on the head and use them for fertilizer. There are just too darn many of the things. Even a couple less carp is a step in the right direction as far as the river ecology is concerned.

I eat some carp, give some away to other fishermen, bury some, make 'coon bait with some and I do throw some of them away. Carp are tasty when caught out of cold water, brined and then smoked. (really!)

Bowfishing; cleaning up our waterways, one carp at a time.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't ate on per say, but many people I know have and love them smoked from clean water. Me personally, I cut them into strips and use them as catfish bait, they love it! If your really up to "wasting nothing", use the entrails on a set line for turtles.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Guys I'm not knockin ya in fact I might join ya. I was just taught to use what you harvest and I stick to that. I does look like a blast. Thanks rich
Old 12-23-2004, 08:23 AM

A friend had some Pheasants and chickens penned up and he would throw a carp in the pen with them for food. When the maggots started eating the carp then the pheasants would eat the maggots. The problem with this was it took forever for that carp to decompose and it stunk so bad you didn't dare go back by the pen.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:47 AM

No problem Rich....some of us are just a little tired of the anti bowfishing coming from other organized "sporting" groups interested in carp fishing. Glad you use what you harvest.....whats Mt. Lion taste like??
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Ed, a lot of people do eat the mountain lions that they shoot. It is supposed to be very good meat. (better than bear, I've been told) Bobcats are supposed to be tasty too.

Quick Reply: Whats the point??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.