HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Whats the point?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/83223-whats-point.html)

E.J.D. 12-23-2004 02:11 PM

RE: Whats the point??

Didnt know that.........I guess anythings edible, had coon before, tastes alot like lamb. Couldnt bring myself to eat a cat or yote though!

jlb66 12-23-2004 03:47 PM

I have a hog farmer who loves to take them for his hog to eat. I also use them for fertilizer. If you can get a big female and get it smoked just right they taste really really good the closest thing I can compare it to would be smoked ham. They have just a little different texture but are very very good.

s. il. hntr 12-26-2004 05:46 PM

haven't ever bowfished.....yet. but the carp i catch on rod and reel i freeze and donate to the church for their fish fry.i have eaten many carp and just don't care for them anymore, but many people love them.

E.J.D. 12-26-2004 08:45 PM

If your from Ill., and want to give it a try, pm me....we will get you out there!

s. il. hntr 12-27-2004 09:11 PM

where are you from ejd?

E.J.D. 12-28-2004 04:14 PM

northern ill.

Rich Baker 12-29-2004 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: E.J.D.

No problem Rich....some of us are just a little tired of the anti bowfishing coming from other organized "sporting" groups interested in carp fishing. Glad you use what you harvest.....whats Mt. Lion taste like??
A lot like lean pork

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-04-2005 05:37 PM

Out of cold water and sandy bottom areas a smoked carp is excellent-we also used to pickle them and they were mightly tasty-but the fact of the matter is a dead carp is the only good carp no matter what you use it for

Fishhunter 01-10-2005 05:22 PM

Filleted boneless with the red meat removed - very good fried. Then the red meat can be used for bait or fertilizer. I've eaten them out of Table Rock Lake near Branson (about as clean water as you can get) and out of the lower Missouri River. Good eating from both places. Bigheads are even better.

AK NIMROD 01-13-2005 07:30 PM

here in Alaska i bowfish for pike. one lake i just throw them away, polluted lake next to dump others if big enough are eaten. but even if they are not eaten for every one i kill will save numerous salmon, trout , and even baby ducks and baby muskrats. they were bootlegged into areas of Alaska where they are not native. fish and game wants as many as we can kill gone. they will stop stocking lakes when the pike arrive.
i got 19 this past year- biggest 27" smallest 5.5 "