Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
Where to Bowfish in Central Illinois?? >

Where to Bowfish in Central Illinois??

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Where to Bowfish in Central Illinois??

Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Spike

Question Where to Bowfish in Central Illinois??

I just ordered my AMS set but am still in question on where to go. My other biggest problem is what to do with the fish?? i've done some reading but am still stuck and don't want to go shoot and have nothing to do with them.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mdonova
I just ordered my AMS set but am still in question on where to go. My other biggest problem is what to do with the fish?? i've done some reading but am still stuck and don't want to go shoot and have nothing to do with them.

Thanks.
Mdonova;
Let us know what area of Central Illinois you are located in and hopefully we can suggest some areas near you.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Spike

Default Mclean county

i am looking to start out fishing from the bank. we have a boat but, i cant take it anywhere myself yet. Some lakes i know and fish are: Lake Bloomington(cant bowfish on main lake but i think below spillway), Lake evergreen, Dawson Lake(moraine view), clinton lake. id be willing to drive but i dont know where to go. i hope this helps you give me some ideas of places.

Thanks.

Last edited by mdonova; 06-08-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can bowfish from shore at Evergreen and Clinton. You have to be in a boat at Dawson.

All are good bowfishing spots. Clinton has some really good spots to shoot from shore, but they are getting really hard to get into now because the grass and weeds are so tall.

The carp in Evergreen tend to run small but there's lots of them. Tons of carp in Clinton too. Dawson is spotty but the carp tend to be 15 lbs and up in that lake.

Post over in the Illinois Bowfisher's message forum that you're looking to go out and shoot fish. You might be able to hook up with someone who will take you out on their boat.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come down to Carlyle lake and they are everywhere!!!!!! It is now flooded and the backwaters around Hazlet Park are full!!!!! You can bowfish below the dam but only from a boat and we have the Asian carp there, for now!!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 PM
ugg
Spike

Yeah, Carlyle lake is great!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Spike

we have good luck from the boat at Clinton , early morning and late evening/ night are the best times seems the carp run to deeper water after about 10am to stay cool