Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
What kind of bow is best for bowfishing? >

What kind of bow is best for bowfishing?

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What kind of bow is best for bowfishing?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Spike

Default What kind of bow is best for bowfishing?

I'm going bowfishing for garr soon but i want to know what kind of bow i should use.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

You can use any bow that can be backed down to 25-60lbs. My bow is an old compound set at 50#. A lot of guys swear by recurves because of the lack of letoff and ease of snap shooting.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Spike

You can use whatever bow you feel comfortable using that is heavy enough to penetrate the specific fish you are targeting, but light enough that you aren't getting you arrow stuck in the bottom all night. Plus heavier bows get lots of pass throughs which are a pain to get the arrow out. The newer bowfishing bows with stainless hardware are a nice choice if you get serious. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

A dream hunt of mine is to go alligator gar hunting. The big ones. With my 55lb osage longbow.

Flordiabowhunting, I have checked out your site. Does anyone bring these selfbows with em?

I shoot around 160fps with 10gpp draw (550gr arrow). Would that work for a gator?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme View Post
A dream hunt of mine is to go alligator gar hunting. The big ones. With my 55lb osage longbow.

Flordiabowhunting, I have checked out your site. Does anyone bring these selfbows with em?

I shoot around 160fps with 10gpp draw (550gr arrow). Would that work for a gator?

i shoot a 55# recurve and have no problems recommending traditional equipment for the job. if your shot(s) are well placed, you'll get the penetration you'll need to fight it in and finish it with a bangstick.

that recurve is the only bow i have anymore. i'll hunt anything in north america with it for sure. including gator.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Yea, come to Florida for the big gar. I guide and put my hunters on some giants in the river near my home. We also hunt the flats and shoot hundreds of time a day at fish. Awesome fun. The bows with no leftoff are the very best but any bow will work. PSE Nova bowfishing package is the cats azz!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Spike

I bow fish with a 1986 PSE game getter, my swim suit, a cooler full fo food and drinks and some good friends Bow fishing is a great way to spend a spring or summer day outside