Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Spear Fishing

Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Spike

Default Spear Fishing

Anyone hear ever done Spearfishing and do you need to obtain a permit before doing so?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

I spearfish in the ocean, never done it in freshwater. Its a blast!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

what do u mean spearfishing? Back in Michigan we would got spearing in the little river and creeks.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Anyone hear ever done Spearfishing and do you need to obtain a permit before doing so?
In Canada, you need a headress with eagle feathers and have a powwow and you are good to go. Friends would demand you bring whiskey and smokes!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nessmuk
I don't know about where you live. in kansas, we need a fishing license and can spear only rough fish.

it's listed in legal equipment along with bowfishing.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nsdemit
I don't know about where you live. in kansas, we need a fishing license and can spear only rough fish.

it's listed in legal equipment along with bowfishing.
same with wisconsin
Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

My son & I scuba dive/spearfish here in Florida. Down here you have to have a salt water fishing license & you can only spear certain species of fish. The list is available at fwc.com. We mostly shoot grouper, hog snapper & grunts (grey snapper).
Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM
ugg
Spike

spearfish is cool, but it's hard
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by richwrench
My son & I scuba dive/spearfish here in Florida. Down here you have to have a salt water fishing license & you can only spear certain species of fish. The list is available at fwc.com. We mostly shoot grouper, hog snapper & grunts (grey snapper).
And it's illegal in Freshwater here. Basically you can shoot NON GAME fish both below and above the water like we do. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Spike

I live in the thumb of michigan, every year in the late spring early summer the carp and gar run. Im only 16 but ive been doing it for about 5 years. We take our bows,homemade spears, machetes and just about anything else you can find. THe water is only about a foot to 2 feet deep, my favorite set up is my old 1987 PSE game getter bow with 3 fish arrows and a sharpened piece of re-bar with a nail threw it for a barb. Went out this past year with my brother,my fishin buddy and me. We got over 350 carp in about 2 weeks. LOTS OF FUN. and a decent way to practice archery and primitive weapon skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.