Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
A few starter questions >

A few starter questions

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

A few starter questions

Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Spike

Default A few starter questions

Hi, i have wanted to start bowfishing for a while now and today just bought a bow when i found one on craigslist. I figured i'd find a forum and this one seems like a good place. the bow is a Bear, made in 1990 and the draw weight is 70lbs. Is this some kind of a fixed thing or can the weight be reduced, as i read here that is too much. The arrow for the bow is heavy with a large broadhead with extending barbs, and many of the places i see carp are very shallow with rocky bottoms... will shooting in these places ruin my arrow/broadhead? Another question which has probably been asked a million times... is it common for these arrows to skip? And lastly, are stabilizers necessary or useful for bowfishing, do they make a flashlight that will screw into that hole? I live in Madison, Wi. so this bow will most often be used for carp, and mostly shot from shore as i don't have a capable boat. I apologize as i'm sure you guys are asked these questions all the time.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

willy, you should probably turn your bow down to 60-50 depending what is safe for your bow. yes shooting into the rocks is hard on heads and arrows. a little tip buy those white cheap fiberglass arrows for shooting in stuff like that. the carbon ones will break, the fiberglass filled aluminums will bend. keep a file with you so you can sharpen your tip. your arrows won't ricochet off the surface of the water but can bounce back off of those rocks or concrete. no, you will not need a stabilizer but they do make something to screw in there so when you shoot a stump or something you can wrap your line around it to pull the arrow out without killing your hands. i dont know of any commercially made lights but i have seen guys put pictures on here of some homemade rigs pretty sweet. other than that shoot low and have fun