Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Equipment questions >

Equipment questions

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Equipment questions

Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Default Equipment questions

I just got a PSE Kingfisher recurve bow to have a backup and an extra to have to go with friends. I was wondering, since it is not wood but a material like a compound do I still need to take it apart each time after I use it, or can it be left strung? I also had Garpon tip come off when pulling an arrow through a tree. Fortunately I was able to find it on the bottom of the river, but I bought the arrow allready set up and the entire tip came off where it had been glued together. Should I just super glue it back on, or do I need some other type of glue? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Equipment questions

Hey cow, yea you can use super glue to put it back on but I personally am not a big fan of thereal quick setting super glues, only because if you get an air bubble trapped underneath the head when gluing on, you won't get as much of the arrow shaft up in the head and it might not always allow you to rotate the head for optimal alignment before setting up. I'm a big fan of two part, slightly longer setting epoxies like JB weld. Also consider roughing up the end of the arrow shaftwith a rough file or large grit sandpaperas this will improve adhesion. As to your other question, since the limbs probably won't take a set like wood, you could leave them strung but your string will sure stretch a lot more if left in this manner.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 PM

What is the optimal alignment for the tip, should the sides that come out be parallel or perpendicular to the water, straight up and down, or sideways?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

hc, I don't know that it (barb alignment) makes much difference.

I like Robow use two part epoxy. I usually use the 2-ton type. Clean the tip pocket and the end of the shaft with acetone to make sure it's chemically clean. Put a small amount in the tip pocket and a small amount on the shaft. When you put them together, have something (block of wood works for me) that you can push the point into/against while twisting the shaft. As you turn the shaft keep pressure down into the tip pocket. Epoxy will ooze out and finally some air will make a popping noise.
If the shaft seems to push back out of the tip slightly when you let go there is still air trapped and you need to continue holding pressure while turning the shaft.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hungry cow

What is the optimal alignment for the tip, should the sides that come out be parallel or perpendicular to the water, straight up and down, or sideways?
Whatever isn't going to allow contact with your rest, riser or hand.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I always unstring my recurves, even the solid glass bows. It seems to me that even if the bow doesn't take a set, that the string might stretch... could be wrong abt that, but that's just what I do.

I've had points pop-off too. Now use Stingarees, the tips have holes through them that make it easy to drill a hole through the shaft and pin them on with a dowel-pin to help supplement the glue.

Danged near impossible to pop a tip now.

However, you can drill and pin any type of tip if you are careful.
BP